Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers 3-2 Crewe

12 December 2015

Two stoppage time goals sees Rovers come from behind in dramatic fashion and get three points at the Keepmoat.

Rovers - 3 (Grant 32’, Stewart 90 +2’, Williams 90+3’)
Crewe - 2 (Haber 26’, Saunders 90')

Saturday 12th December, 2015
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
SkyBet League One

Unsurprisingly Darren Ferguson made no changes to his starting eleven following last week’s FA Cup win, but Richard Chaplow and Curtis Main returned to the bench having been out injured for some time.

Rovers went into the game having won five of their last seven matches, as Crewe occupied the relegation zone of SkyBet League One.

Right from the off the home side were on top and dominated possession as Crewe struggled to get hold of the ball.

Conor Grant picked up where he left off at Cambridge and had fans on the edge of their seats just five minutes in. Driving through the midfield, he hit one low and hard from 25 yards but it was just wide of the post.

The home side almost went ahead again as a corner straight from the training ground was played short to Andy Williams. Shooting first time his shot was well blocked by the defender.

Rovers continued to enjoy possession and play attractive football, however totally against the run of play on 26 minutes Crewe took the lead.

Marcus Haber got on the end of a cut back in the area and poked home from four yards giving Thorsten Stuckmann no chance.

Just minutes later Nathan Tyson had the chance to draw level as he volleyed James Coppinger’s cross over the bar from six yards.

The home side got the equaliser they deserved and it was unsurprisingly Conor Grant who got his name on the scoresheet again. A deflected Coppinger cross fell to Grant who volleyed home brilliantly.

As we approached half time Stuckmann made a fantastic double save as a header came at him from point blank range, before giving low to his left to save the follow up.

HALF TIME: Rovers 1-1 Crewe

With conditions worsening in the second half it was made very difficult for either side to play their football. It was scrappy from both sides but Rovers looked to have the edge.

Cedric Evina continued to be a threat down the left wing and causing problems with his pace he drilled a ball right across the face of goal. Just needing someone to get a touch it was just ahead of the Rovers advancing men.

Rovers pressured again and came close from a corner as the ball hit James Jones and almost went into his own net.

Darren Ferguson introduced Cameron Stewart to the game who livened things up down the right wing. Taking on his defender he delivered a peach of ball in to the box for Williams who got his head to the ball but somehow it went past the post.

Grant went close again as he fired another menacing shot at goal but always on the rise it just cleared Garratt’s crossbar.

Crewe had their spells of possession towards the end of the match and for the second time in the match against the run of play scored to put them ahead. Catching Rovers on the break, Oliver Turton made a darting run down the right. As he received the ball he played it across goal and substitute Callum Saunders was there to tap in from close range.

It wasn’t over there however. Into stoppage time Rovers won a free kick 25 yards out,  Cameron Stewart stepped up and curled the ball into the top corner to make it 2-2.

Less than a minute later Aaron Taylor-Sinclair played the ball to Williams on the move. Turning away from his defender the striker brilliantly slotted the ball into the back of the net with his left foot to win the game for Rovers.

FULL TIME: Rovers 3-2 Crewe

Team Lineups-

Rovers: Stuckmann, Butler, Evina, Alcock, Taylor-Sinclair, Grant, Coppinger (c), Middleton, Tyson, Williams, Lund (Stewart 70’)

Unused Subs: Marosi, McCullough, Chaplow, Main, Keegan, Whitehouse

Crewe: Garratt, Turton (c), Guthrie, Nugent, Lowe (Saunders 85’), Harber, King (Inman 70’), Bingham, Jones, Colclough (Ng 90’), Ajayi

Unused Subs: Cooper, Fox, Baillie, Nizic

Cautions: Jones 64'

Attendance: 5,342 (262)

Advertisement block