Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/02/2015

28 February 2015

Sponsored by

It was a happy return to the Keepmoat for Paul Dickov’s men as Rovers play off push continues.

Rovers - 2 (Stevens 39’ , Tyson 82')
Colchester- 0

Saturday 28th February, 2015
Keepmoat Stadium
Sky Bet League One.

Paul Dickov made a number of changes to Tuesday night’s team that lost against Bristol City. Abdul Razak and Curtis Main made the starting line up as Harry Forrester and Kyle Bennett dropped to the bench.

It was a lively start to the match and on just three minutes Rovers had the visitors on the back foot. Richie Wellens delivered a corner into the box towards Andy Butler who rose above everyone for the header, however the Rovers captain saw his effort crash against the crossbar.

Colchester weren’t without their chances and on twelve minutes the referee awarded them a penalty for a push by Reece Wabara on Chris Porter.

Porter stepped up for the visitors but his effort was blasted over Stephen Bywater’s crossbar, a let off for Rovers.

Rovers almost went ahead again, this time through Abdul Razak. Some lovely play down the right led to Furman delivering an inch perfect cross for Razak whose header also hit the bar.

Elliott Hewitt should have scored on the half hour mark as his run saw him go through one on one with Bywater. Cutting inside, he got his shot away but curled it past the post.

Shortly after, Wellens gifted Hewitt possession who drove forwards towards goal before releasing his shot but a smart save from Bywater denied him.

Rovers finally got the breakthrough just before half time. Tyson made a surging run down the left and although his initial cross was cut out, the ball fell to Enda Stevens on the edge of the area whose technique was brilliant to drill the ball into the bottom corner.

HALF TIME SCORE: Doncaster Rovers 1-0 Colchester United

Both sides came out energised in the second half and were creating chances from the off.

The first chance fell to Rovers again, Stevens played a dangerous ball across the face of goal which just needed a touch from Tyson but Rovers top scorer couldn’t quite make contact.

Minutes later Rovers were in again. This time Wellens found himself in acres of space in the box. Practically passing the ball to Tyson on the goal line, it only needed a touch but somehow Colchester escaped after a mix up between the two.

Straight down the other end Colchester were given a golden opportunity to get back into the game but Porter’s header from three yards went over the bar.

Curtis Main had a chance to put the game to bed as great work from Furman in midfield set Tyson free down the left. With two to aim for in the box he squared the ball to Main but his first time shot was straight at Walker.

Rovers weren’t without their chances. Razak and Stevens linked up well before the defender released another shot on goal, only to see it saved by Sam Walker.

With ten minutes left to play the referee awarded a penalty to the home side after a high tackle on Furman in the area. Tyson stepped up and made no mistake in scoring and securing victory for Paul Dickov’s side.

Walker continued to be kept busy in the dying minutes as he saved shots from both Bennett and Wellens  and after six minutes of added time the referee blew for full time.

The victory sees Rovers go back up to sixth place in the Sky Bet League One table.

Team Lineups -

Rovers: Bywater, Stevens, Wabara, Butler,McCullough, Razak (Bennett 79’), Wellens, Furman, Keegan Tyson (Ikpeazu 85’), Main (Forrester 79’)

Unused Subs: Marosi, McCombe, Robinson, Evina

Cautions: Wabara 12’ Main 76'

Colchester: Walker, Clohessy (Gordon 64’), Osborne, Eastman, Wynter; Hewitt (Moncur 81’), Fox, Gilbey, Massey; Bonne (Healey 69’), Porter

Unused Subs: Marriott, Lewington, McEvoy, Sembie-Ferris

Cautions: Clohessy 8’ , Gilbey 46’ Eastman 86’

Attendance: 6,330

Away: 220

Advertisement block