Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/03/2015

17 March 2015

Sponsored by

Rovers - 1 (Main 41')
Swindon - 2 (Smith 54’ , Obika 90')

Tuesday 17th March, 2015
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Sky Bet League One
Kick off 7.45pm

Rovers were looking to bounce back from defeat to Peterborough at the weekend and put the pressure back on the top six, as the play-offs were still within touching distance.

Paul Dickov made one change to his side as Kyle Bennett came in for Harry Forrester.

Rovers made a bright start to the game as they looked to get on the front foot from the off. Nathan Tyson and Reece Wabara looked a threat down the right hand side and the first chance of the game for the home side came through Tyson.

The forward broke down the wing beating his defender before playing a dangerous ball across the box, unfortunately he was unable to find a Rovers player.

Kyle Bennett looked a lively figure and a delightful touch from him put Richie Wellens through as he looked for Jonson Clarke-Harris, but his ball was just out of reach for Rovers new striker.

Swindon’s first chance of the game came 30 minutes in as John Swift broke from midfield before shooting from the edge of the area, but it was well saved by Stephen Bywater.

Just before half time the home side deservedly took the lead through Curtis Main.

A quick throw in from Wellens set Tyson free down the left, his low ball across the box was met by a first time shot from Main that beat Wes Foderingham.

Rovers went in a goal up at half time.

HALF TIME SCORE: Doncaster Rovers 1-0 Swindon Town

Rovers started the second half as they finished the first. Great anticipation from Bennett saw him dispossess a Swindon player before shooting from the edge of the area, winning a corner for the hosts.

Rovers lead was almost doubled as an inch perfect corner was delivered towards Clarke-Harris who rose above the defence, but his powerful header was saved brilliantly by Foderingham.

The home side were then appealing for a penalty as captain Andy Butler looked to be brought down in the area, but the referee gave nothing.

Minutes later there was a penalty awarded at the other end. After failing to clear the ball, Dean Furman looked to push Ben Gladwin in the back and Mr Harrington pointed straight to the spot.

Having missed one earlier in the season against Rovers, Michael Smith stepped up and drilled the ball into the bottom right corner.

Rovers looked to regain their lead straight away and went close through Clarke-Harris. His swerving shot had Foderingham beaten but it whistled past the right post.

Bywater kept the home side in it with an outstanding save for what looked to be a certain goal. With the ball played across goal and just a tap in from three yards needed, somehow Bywater saved the ball with his legs from point blank range.

With five minutes to go the game really came to life and was there for the taking. It was all Rovers as they pushed for a winner, however with two minutes of injury time left in the game against the run of play the Robins found a winner.

With the ball in the Rovers half, substitute Jonathan Obika found some space before striking a shot across Bywater’s goal and very nicely finishing into the bottom corner.

A harsh end to a game that Rovers deserved something from.

FULL TIME SCORE: Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Swindon Town

Team Lineups -

Rovers: Bywater, Stevens, Wabara, Butler (C), McCullough, Wellens, Furman, Clarke-Harris (Robinson 69’), Bennett (Forrester 69’), Tyson, Main

Unused Subs: Marosi, McCombe, Robinson, Evina, Middleton, Razak,

Swindon: Foderingham, Branco, Thompson N (C), Turnbull, Byrne, Stephens, Gladwin (Williams 69’), Kasim, Toffolo, Swift (Obika 79’), Smith

Unused Subs: Rodgers, Ouldridge, Hylton

Attendance: 5,258

Away: 284

Advertisement block