Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18 Report: York City 0-1 Doncaster Rovers

22 March 2015

10 men Rovers hold on for victory against York to continue their challenge for the Youth Alliance League.

York - 0
Rovers - 1 (Head 78')
Saturday 21st March, 2015
North East Youth Alliance League

Doncaster had to play majority of the second half with 10 men after defender Michael Carberry was shown a second yellow card. That setback did not stop Rovers from picking up another three points after Alex Head put the ball into the back of the net, after missing his original penalty.

It was York who had the first effort of the game though, Callum Rzonla played a cross field ball to Chris Salmon, who went for the spectacular effort from 25-yards out but his shot was not troubling McLaren in the Rovers goal.

Rovers had a blatant penalty shout turned down by the referee after Liam Mandeville was brought down by Adam Morley.

York continued to pile the pressure on the Rovers defence and it nearly paid off, Aaron Collis put a through ball to Ben Hirst who looked like he was going to poke it past McLaren, but some very brave goalkeeping by the Doncaster youth keeper kept the ball out of the net but he came out worse off in that 50/50 challenge.

McLaren stayed on and he was involved in the next phase of play for Doncaster, his kick out to Carberry landed at the feet of the defender in the final third of York's half, Carberry put a right footed cross into the box.

Joe Pugh climbed well above the defence and his header was looked destined for the bottom right corner but a superb save by Price kept it out, the ball fell to Mandeville on the penalty spot, his effort was saved again by Price who was still on the floor from the previous effort.

The ball came back to Alex Head but his shot hit the base of the post and it was eventually cleared by York's defence.

Carberry was booked on the stroke of half time along with Rzonla after they squared up to each other after a hefty 50/50 challenge angered both parties.

Half Time: York City U18's 0-0 Doncaster Rovers U18's

Jack McLaren was substituted at half time due to an injury he sustained in the first half, after the game Head of Youth Development Paul Wilson confirmed that McLaren had taken a hefty blow in the ribs.

On the 55th minute Carberry was shown a second yellow card after he brought down Rzonla on the right wing, the referee had no choice but to send the left back off with a huge chunk of the second half remaining.

With the second half getting away from Doncaster, they had another stonewall penalty appeal fall on deaf ears, this time it was Joe Pugh who went down inside the York box, defender Wilson seemed to clip the heels of the forward but the referee again waved away the protests.

Three minutes later Doncaster finally got one, Liam Mandeville got in front of defender Josh Bowkett who went to kick the ball and he ended up kicking Mandeville in the mid-drift.

Alex Head stepped up to take the penalty, his right footed effort was saved by Price, it came back out to Head who passed it into the bottom left corner.

There was still time for the referee to make the game all about his, as he turned down Rovers third penalty appeal after Pugh was brought down once again.

An incredible result for the 10 men of Doncaster who continue to impress in the league.

Full Time: York City U18's 0-1 Doncaster Rovers U18's 

Team Lineups-
York City U18's Starting XI: Price, Salmon, Bowkett, Hardey, Morley (Off 82'), Wilson (C), Rzonla, Fielding (Off 65'), Hirst, Collis, Freer.

York City U18's Subs: Kennedy (On 82'), Whitley, Britton (On 65'), Jefferson, Wilson.

: Callum Rzonla- Yellow

Doncaster Rovers U18's Starting XI: McLaren (Off 45'), Greasley, Carberry, Head, P. McKay (C), Mbuti, Longbottom, Parkin, Pugh, Mandeville, Linely.

Doncaster Rovers U18's Subs: Barker, Jones (On 45'), Fielding, Walker.

Cautions: Carberry- Yellow (2), Pugh- Yellow, Longbottom- Yellow

Advertisement block