Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

What the Papers Say

9 March 2015

Sponsored by

A quick media round up of the fallout from Saturday's 1-1 draw with Gillingham.

Yorkshire Post - PAUL DICKOV was disappointed that his side had not maintained their recent high standards but Doncaster Rovers remain in the top six after claiming this point.
Harry Forrester scored a stunningly audacious wind-assisted long-range free-kick that was quickly cancelled out by John Marquis’s header for the hosts just before the break.

Doncaster Free Press - With the finishing line in sight, this is not the time to get the jitters. Rovers returned from the long trip to Kent with a valuable point but there was little else to be pleased about after the clash with Gillingham. The performance was largely poor, strewn with errors and a real lack of composure. Conditions at the Priestfield Stadium were horrendous but Rovers did little to aid their own cause.
There was barely time to sit back down after Harry Forrester’s opening goal before John Marquis nodded in from close range at the other end.

ESPN - Gillingham striker John Marquis scored his seventh goal in 10 games to earn his side a 1-1 home draw against Doncaster. Harry Forrester spectacularly fired the visitors ahead six minutes after coming on as a 34th-minute substitute, albeit with the help of the strong wind that affected the game. The former Brentford forward struck a 40-yard free kick, which looped over Gillingham goalkeeper Stuart Nelson's head.
On-loan Millwall forward Marquis levelled the game a minute before the break as he latched on to Doug Loft's free-kick that hung in the wind to head past Doncaster goalkeeper Stephen Bywater.

Gills Connect - The opening goal was something of a fluke as Donny’s Harry Forrester took a free kick from just inside Gills half in front of the Medway Stand. The ball picked up speed with the wind and bounced in the penalty area to go over the head of Stuart Nelson to hit the top of the net. Whether Nelson was unsighted or partly blinded by the sun that was shining into that end of the ground we will probably never know. The ball was into his net and many in the ground felt it was a mistake by the Gills goalkeeper.

And how we reported it...With five minutes to go until half time the substitute FORRESTER saw the Gills keeper off his line whilst taking a free kick from 45 yards out his swirling effort from near the half way line looped over Nelson who was left embarrassed. Forrester ran the length of the pitch to celebrate that spectacular effort in front of the Rovers faithful.

Advertisement block