Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/05/2015

3 May 2015

Rovers end the season on a high after putting five past rivals Scunthorpe United.
Rovers - 5 (Canavan 11’ OG , Tyson 33’ , 74’ , 80' , Jones 45')
Scunthorpe - 2 (Van Veen 53’ , Adelakun 90’)

Sunday 3rd May, 2015.
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Sky Bet League One
Kick off 12.15pm

Nathan Tyson will take the headlines for his hat-trick, but it was a masterclass performance from Harry Forrester that contributed to a 5-2 victory over the Iron.

Marko Marosi and Mitchell Lund were included in Paul Dickov’s starting eleven again as he continued to show faith in the Rovers youngsters with the season coming to a close.

With Rovers looking to end the season on a high at the Keepmoat, they started the game on the front foot pressuring Mark Robins men right from the off.

Playing with a real energy, James Coppinger set Harry Forrester free down the left. Beating two Scunthorpe men he was eventually hacked down by Jordan Clarke just outside the box.

Kyle Bennett whipped the resulting free kick in towards the back post and Scunthorpe defender Neill Canavan headed the ball into his own net to give the home side the lead.

There were a crazy few seconds following the opening goal as Kevin Van Veen broke into the Rovers box. Having beaten Marko Marosi, the dutchman went down hoping to get a penalty but the referee said no.

With Marosi still down, Neal Bishop had an open goal to aim at with the follow up shot but it rattled the cross bar.

Rovers continued to pressure the visitors and looked hungry for a second. Forrester had the South Stand on their feet as his curling free kick from 25 yards had Luke Daniels beaten, only for it to hit the side netting.

Minutes later Forrester was causing problems again. Picking up the ball on the left he nutmegged his man before spreading the ball wide to Bennett. Chipping the ball in to the box Bennett’s cross was met by Nathan Tyson who headed home from six yards to take his tally to twelve for the season. Rovers led 2-0.

On the stroke of half time it was the men in red and white who threatened again. This time Coppinger found some space outside the area and released a shot forcing a great save from Daniels low to his right.

Rovers made it three on the stroke of half time as captain Rob Jones rose above everyone to meet a Forrester corner and finish off a very nice half of football from Paul Dickov’s men.

HALF TIME: Rovers 3-0 Scunthorpe

Scunthorpe came out fighting in the second half and Van Veen went close when he got on the end of a cross with an acrobatic effort, but it went narrowly over the bar.

The visitors did pull a goal back however through Van Veen. A mix up at the back for Rovers allowed the striker to eventually tap the ball in from two yards after a number of deflections!

The Iron went close again through Van Even as his shot from 12 yards was cleared off the line by Andy Butler.

Tyson doubled his tally and made it four for Rovers when the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on Forrester. Breaking into the box Forrester was bought down just as he was about to release his shot and the referee made no mistake in pointing to the spot.

The referee awarded another penalty as Forrester was bought down again just moments later. Weaving his way in and out of defenders the end product looked a certain goal before he was rugby tackled to the ground! On a hat-trick Tyson stepped up and made it five for Rovers.

In injury time The Iron got another goal back in bizarre fashion. With Adelakun standing over a free kick, he whipped the ball in and somehow it went through Marosi’s legs and into the back of the net.

Shortly after, the final whistle was blown and Rovers deserved their victory ending the season on a high. 

Team Lineups -

Rovers: Marosi, Lund (Wabara 75’), Evina, Butler, Jones (c), Bennett (Main 70’), Coppinger, Forrester, Wellens, Furman Tyson (J.McKay 80’)

Unused Subs: Bywater, Whitehouse, Middleton, Stevens

Cautions: Butler 61’ , Lund 62'

Scunthorpe: Daniels, McAllister, Canavan, Madden, Van Veen (Wootton 82’), Bishop (c) (Evans 81’), Adelakun, Boyce, McSheffrey (Syers 81’), Williams, Clarke

Unused Subs: Townsend, Dyche, Llera, Anyon

Cautions: Clarke 10’ , Van Veen 36’ , Bishop 50’ , Canavan 58'

Attendance: 9,394

Away: 1,618

Advertisement block