Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Blackpool 0-2 Rovers

14 November 2015

Andy Williams continues his hot streak in front of goal as he nets again and Rovers take three points at Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool - 0
Rovers - 2 (Williams 5’ Taylor-Sinclair 40’)

Saturday 14th November, 2015
Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
SkyBet League One

Rovers could not have got off to a better start at Bloomfield Road and camped Blackpool in their own half straight from kick off.

Nathan Tyson was a clear problem for the Seasiders defence as they struggled to cope with his pace. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair set the striker free early on but Dean Lyness was quick off his line to clear before Tyson could get a touch.

On five minutes Darren Ferguson’s side took the lead with a superb goal from the in form Andy Williams. Everton loanee Conor Grant played a deep ball to the back post and as Clark Robertson attempted to clear, the ball fell to Williams. With the angle against him, Williams beautifully curled the ball into the top corner leaving Lyness with absolutely no chance.

Blackpool came very close to equalising when Jarrett Rivers weaved his way past the defence before playing a ball into the box. Mark Cullen flicked a header towards goal but it went inches past the post.

It could have been 2-0 to Rovers when Grant drove past the defence before looking to place one into the bottom corner. With Lyness caught flat footed his shot went just past the post.

With Blackpool sitting very deep they invited Rovers' pressure. Andy Butler almost got on the scoresheet when he fired at goal from 8 yards to see it blocked on the line before Harry Middleton dragged a shot wide.

Just before half time Rovers doubled their lead. A Conor Grant corner caused a goalmouth scramble and with Blackpool unable to clear, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair was there to poke the ball home from 3 yards.

HALF TIME: Blackpool 0-2 Rovers

The visitors started the second half as they did the first. Grant came close again to getting on the scoresheet as he carried the ball 30 yards before hitting one low to the keepers right but Lyness made a good save to deny him.

Blackpool looked to play football in the second half as they tried to find a way back into the game. Mark Cullen and Jack Redshaw linked up well causing a few problems but the Rovers back line held firm and defensively looked strong.

The travelling fans were appealing for a penalty when Andy Butler looked to be dragged down in the area following a corner but nothing was given and play went on.

Enjoying their football, it was one touch stuff from Rovers and Blackpool struggled to contain them going forward. Their best chance of the half came as Tyson beat his defender for pace again, before squaring the ball to Williams. Shooting low, Lyness was forced to make another good save low to his left.

With Rovers totally dominant there was no way back for the home side. James Coppinger went close in the 90th minute as he fired a stinging shot at goal but it rose over the cross bar.

After 4 minutes injury time, the referee blew his whistle and it was three points on the road for Rovers.

Team Lineups-

Blackpool: Lyness, Ferguson, Aldred, Robertson, Dunne, Rivers (Thomas 61’), Norris, Potts, McAlister, Redshaw (Patterson 74'), Cullen

Unused Subs: Boney, Aimson, Cubero, Herron, Osayi-Samuel

Rovers: Stuckmann, Butler, Evina, Lund (Stewart 90’), Taylor-Sinclair, Grant, Coppinger (c), Middleton, Tyson (Anderson 73’), Williams, Felipe (Alcock 73’)

Unused Subs: Marosi, Wellens, N'Guessan, Forrester

Advertisement block