Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/11/2015

7 November 2015

Goalscoring Andy Williams continues his run of form, putting Rovers through to the second round of the FA Cup.
Rovers - 2 (Williams 3' , 68')
Stalybridge- 0

Saturday 7th November, 2015
Keepmoat Stadium
FA Cup Round One

James Coppinger was the main talking point ahead of this first round FA Cup fixture as he made his 469th appearance for the club, breaking the club’s post-war record.

Darren Ferguson named a strong starting eleven, making just one change from last weekend’s victory over Colchester United. New signing Felipe Mattioni made his debut for the club coming in for the injured Cameron Stewart.

Rovers couldn’t have started the game any better and were ahead inside three minutes.

Nathan Tyson did brilliantly to keep the ball in play down the left before firing in a low cross which was met by Williams in the box with a cool finish into the bottom corner.

Conor Grant went close minutes later as he struck a shot from the edge of the area but it was well saved by Tony McMillan.

Staybridge started to come into the game and enjoyed some possession going forward however Thorsten Stuckmann failed to be tested in the Rovers net.

Some excellent work by Harry Middleton in midfield allowed him to play in Tyson just inside the box. Firing towards goal his shot was always rising and escaped the cross bar.

Stuckmann was tested shortly before half time as Bohan Dixon struck a fierce free kick at goal from 30 yards. Taking a slight deflection, Stuckmann parried it behind for a corner.

HALF TIME: Rovers 1-0 Stalybridge

Rovers threatened straight from the restart as Cedric Evina played a deadly ball across the face of goal but neither Williams or Tyson were able to get that vital touch.

Conor Grant caused problems for the defence again with a menacing run forwards before he was chopped down on the edge of the area. Coppinger stepped up to shoot but McMillan saved his effort.

Stalybridge came close to getting an equaliser through Jack Higgins as his free header in the area was saved on the line by Stuckmann.

Keshi Anderson was introduced to the game for Nathan Tyson and was involved immediately as he skipped past three defenders before being taken down in the box. Everyone in the ground was appealing for a penalty but the referee said no.

With Rovers continuing to dominate in the final third, Middleton won another corner for the home side.

As Conor Grant delivered the corner the ball fell to Williams six yards out on the angle, hitting the ball on the volley it beat McMillan to find the bottom corner.

Rovers looked comfortable leading 2-0. It was almost three when a perfectly timed run from Anderson allowed him to dash into the box. Firing across the box trying to find Williams, it took a vital deflection off the defender going behind for a corner.

After three minutes added time the referee blew for full time and Rovers were safely through to the second round of the FA Cup.

Team Lineups-

Rovers: Stuckmann, Butler, Evina, Lund, Taylor-Sinclair, Grant, Coppinger (c) (Wellens 87’), Middleton, Tyson (Anderson 57’), Williams, Felipe

Unused Subs: Marosi, McCullough, Main, Forrester, Whitehouse

Stalybridge: MacMillan, Wylie, Crowley, Hughes (c), Higgins, Chalmers, Dixon, Wisdom (Chippendale 68’), Tames (Wright 55’), Johnson (Simm 67’), Farrell

Unused Subs: Osei, Hibbert, McKenna, Lingouba

Cautions: Higgins 50’

Attendance: 3,991 (498)


Advertisement block