Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Carlisle United U18s 1-0 Doncaster Rovers U18s (AET)

17 November 2015

Rovers pay the penalty in Extra Time.

Carlisle United U18s – 1 (Taylor 110’)
Doncaster Rovers U18s - 0

Tuesday 17th November 2015, 7:00pm
Brunton Park, Carlisle
FA Youth Cup Second Round

Both sides were victorious in their respected first round matches with both of the teams on show beating their last round opponents in extra time, this game started in a very positive but feisty fashion with either side not pulling out of any early challenges. 

Joe Pugh had the first chance of the game, he carried the ball a long way before deciding to have a pop from 25 yards out but his effort flew over Morgan Bacon’s crossbar. 

The best chance of the first half came for the hosts on the 10th minute but it was not taken by midfielder Jack Egan. 

A long throw from the right caught the Rovers defence napping, the ball found its way to the back post where Egan was given the easy task to head Carlisle into the lead but he headed the ball over the crossbar from two-yards out. 

Rovers thought they had taken the lead through Pugh after the striker rounded keeper but the assistant’s offside flag damped his celebrations. 

Set piece specialist Matthew Parkin was on form as always, he picked out the head of Mbuti on the 32nd minute but the strong defender who had come up for the corner could not direct his header goal-wards.
It was Pugh who had the last half chance of the first period after picking up a loose ball in Cumbrians penalty box but the youngster could not hook his foot round the ball to get it on target. 

Half Time: Carlisle United U18s 0-0 Doncaster Rovers U18s

A bizarre incident five minutes into the second half as referee Rebecca Welch had to be replaced due to injury. The replacement referee was called into action straight away as he was confronted with a strong penalty appeal from Barker but he waved away the protests.
Carlisle began to ask questions of the Rovers defence as a wicked volley from central defender Joe Robson was guided out for a corner. From that resulting corner goalkeeper Jones made a brilliant save to deny Salkeld. 

Rovers swiftly upped their game after that scare which saw Barker have a speculative effort saved by Bacon in the Carlisle goal, the defenders looping effort had to be tipped over the bar.

The youth side have goalkeeper Jones to thank for keeping the score line level come the full-time whistle, the youngster made two fantastic saves to deny both of the Cumbrians substitutes. 

First it was a fabulous one-on-one save, the ball was squared across the box by Max Brown to Kieran Hall who had the whole of the goal to aim at but a fantastic save at the feet of the striker kept it goalless. 

Jones then turned into a sweeper-keeper as he was lighting quick off his line to clear a long ball that was punted over the top of the defence. 

Full Time: Carlisle United U18s 0-0 Doncaster Rovers U18s

The home side took the lead with the only real chance of the first half of extra-time and it came from the penalty spot. Carberry was adjudged to have clipped the heels of advancing Bradbury which gave the replacement referee no chance but to point to the spot, up stepped Carl Taylor to thunder his penalty past the helpless Jones. 

Half Time in Extra Time: Carlisle United U18s 1-0 Doncaster Rovers U18s

Doncaster thought they had scored a late equalizer through Will Longbottom but the stand in linesman had other ideas. 

The ball was flicked to the back post where Jordan Linley was situated, he fizzed the ball back across goal to Longbottom who headed the ball into an empty net but the linesman had his flag up claiming that Linley was offside. 

Full Time in Extra Time: Carlisle United U18s 1-0 Doncaster Rovers U18s

CUFC STARTING XI: Bacon, Hurley, Pearson (McCue 120’), Quigley, Douglas (C), Robson, Salkeld (Brown 77’), Egan (Hall 70’), Holt, Taylor, Bradbury. 

CUFC SUBS NOT USED: Williams, Breen,  

DRFC STARTING XI: Jones, Greasley, Carberry (Walker 111’), Williamson, Mbuti, Parkin, Linley (C), Pugh, Barker, Gains (Henderson 84’), Longbottom. 

DRFC SUBS NOT USED: Fielding, Sampson, Sims

20’ Jordan Linley – Yellow
115’ Kieran Hall – Yellow
120’ Michael Quigley - Yellow

Advertisement block