Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Doncaster Rovers U18s 1-1 Grimsby Town U18s

14 November 2015

Rovers are denied three points as Grimsby nick a 90th minute equaliser.

Doncaster Rovers U18s - 1 (Gains 10')
Grimsby Town U18s - 1 (Jennings 90')

Saturday 14th November 2015, 11:00am
Cantley Park Training Ground, Doncaster
Youth Alliance League

Rovers U18s are denied all three points at Cantley Park Training Ground after a 90th minute equaliser from Grimsby Town captain Callum Jennings. 

The hosts who were beaten 4-0 by Hartlepool United last weekend started considerably better than their visiting counterparts, the first opportunity of the game fell to Matthew Gains and the youngster made not mistake in taking it. 

A superb ball over the top by Kevin Mbuti was picked up by the advancing Reece Fielding who laid the ball back to Matty Parkin, the midfielder whipped in a curing ball that was met by the head of Michael Carberry who put it on a plate for Gains who tapped the ball past the stranded Heath-Drury. 

less than 10 minutes later the home side came close to doubling their  lead, a free kick from Parkin was met by the head of commanding centre back Conner Williamson but he could not direct his header into the bottom right corner of the goal. 

It took Grimsby 30 minutes to have their first effort on target, Rovers skipper Jordan Linley took too much time on the ball which saw him lose out to Tom Sawyer, the centre midfielder decided to go it alone but his shot was easily saved by Louis Jones.

Half Time: Doncaster Rovers U18s 1-0 Grimsby Town U18

Rovers were forced into a half time change after Ben Greasley replaced the injured Williamson, things went from bad to worse on the 53rd minute for the hosts as the referee sent off Michael Carberry for violent conduct. 

Academy Manager Paul Wilson would have been happy with his sides defence, restricting Grimsby to a long range shot on the 70th minute. Captain Callum Jennings carried the ball a long way before deciding to have a pop on goal but his weak shot was picked up by Jones.

Linley could have doubled Doncaster's lead but a superb block from Joe Crowther kept the score at 1-0, it was another free kick by Parkin that caused the Grimsby's defence trouble, his cross was headed back to the edge of the box by Mbuti which found Linley but his goal bound effort was deflected off target. 

With the last attack of the game the visitors drew level. 

Grimsby captain Jennings took the game by the scruff of the neck as he continued to carry the ball into the Rovers half, he cut inside on his left foot and unleashed a curing effort that nestled into the bottom left corner, giving the untested Louis Jones in the Doncaster goal no chance.

Full Time: Doncaster Rovers U18s 1-1 Grimsby Town U18s

DRFC STARTING XI: Jones, Barker, Carberry, Williamson (Greasley 46'), Mbuti, Fielding, Parkin, Linley (C), Gains (Henderson 65') Longbottom, Walker (Sims 77').

DRFC SUBS NOT USED: Sampson and Enock

GTFC STARTING XI: Heath-Drury, Finnegan (Pearson 65') Middleton, Sawyer, Crowther, Hough, Wright, Phillips, Cawcett (Loft 75'), Jennings (C), Sibbick. 

GTFC SUBS NOT USED: Lawis, Aldrich, Lawhan. 


37' Max Wright - Yellow
53' Michael Carberry - Red 

Advertisement block