Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: York 2-0 Rovers

6 October 2015

Rovers lose out to Minstermen who advance in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

York - 2 (Oliver 5’ , 50')
Rovers - 0

Tuesday 6th October
Bootham Crescent, York
Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, Round 2

The game had barely kicked off before Rovers threatened the York goal and forced Scott Flinders into a save. Youngster Keshi Anderson played Dany N’Guessan in down the right. Shooting on the angle, he drilled at goal but Flinders saved well.

Seconds later James Coppinger fired at goal from almost exactly the same position forcing Flinders into a second save in the opening three minutes.

Despite the early chances the home side took the lead on five minutes through Vadaine Oliver. Anthony Straker’s looping cross fell to an unmarked Oliver in the box whose header beat Thorsten Stuckmann low to his left.

Taking confidence from their goal, the League Two side played the ball around nicely keeping possession well as Rovers struggled to get hold of the ball.

The visitors almost drew level as clever footwork from Anderson found space in the box. Laying it off to Harry Middleton, the midfielder took a shot from range but he dragged his effort wide.

The home side continued to pressure Rovers and Michael Coulson went close in the box before a crunching tackle from Coppinger stopped the attack.

Shortly before half time things picked up for the visitors. Anderson went on a wonderful run down the middle, sending his defender one way and then the next his eventual shot was narrowly wide of the post.

N’Guessan also went close shortly after but despite losing his defender, his shot was well blocked.

HALF TIME: York 1-0 Rovers

Things went from bad to worse for Rovers and minutes into the second half the Minstermen doubled their lead. A real mix up in the Rovers defence allowed Oliver to pick the ball up and with Stuckmann forced off his line, the striker was able to round the Rovers man and easily slot home for his second of the game.

In atrocious weather conditions, Rovers pushed for a goal as they tried to find a way back into the game, but they were frustrated by a settled York side who continued to play the ball around.

Rob Jones introduced Liam Mandeville and Harry Forrester to the game for some fresh legs. Forrester livened things up in the final third and went close just minutes after coming on. Blasting a shot at goal from distance, Flinders somehow got his fingertips to it making a great save.

The Rovers number ten went close again as Cedric Evina played him in down the left but his low powerful shot was inches wide of the right post.

Defending well, the home side were able to see the game out. Liam Mandeville almost got a consolation goal for Rovers as his curling effort from the edge of the area was brilliantly kept out by Flinders again, but it wasn’t to be and the referee blew for full time as York advanced to the third round.

FULL TIME: York 2-0 Rovers

Team Lineups-

York: Flinders, McCoy, Lowe, McCombe, Ilesanmi, Collins, Penn, Berrett, Straker, Oliver (Thompson 80’), Coulson (Carson 68’)

Unused Subs: Ingham, Winfield, Sinclair

Rovers: Stuckmann, Butler, Evina, Taylor-Sinclair, Horsfield, Wellens, Middleton, Coppinger (c), N'Guessan, Anderson (Forrester 72’), Williams (Mandeville 64’)

Unused Subs: Marosi, Keegan, P.McKay

Cautions: Forrester 82'

Attendance: 1,627 (571)

Advertisement block