Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18 Report: Rovers 2-1 Barnsley (AET)

21 October 2015

Michael Carberry's extra time winner gives Rovers bragging rights over local rivals and a place in the second round of the FA Youth Cup.

Rovers - 2 (Mbuti 35’ , Carberry 116’)
Barnsley - 1 (Jeffs 54’)

Wednesday 21st October, 7.00pm
Keepmoat Stadium
FA Youth Cup Round 1

Having been handed a local derby in the first round of the FA Youth Cup, Rovers youngsters were looking to repeat the success of last year’s campaign where they reached the fourth round before bowing out to Premier League side Swansea City.

It was a scrappy start to the match for both sides who struggled to keep hold of the ball and test the opposition.

The first real chance fell to the home side as Will Longbottom found a way through the defence before firing a shot on goal, however Barnsley goalkeeper Jack Walton was well positioned for the save and held onto the ball.

Ten minutes before half time Paul Stancliffe’s side took the lead. More good play from Joe Pugh won a free kick in midfield, Jordan Linley chipped a dangerous ball into the box causing Walton to come off his line and make the save. With a number of bodies in the box there was a real goal line scramble before defender Kevin Mbuti managed to poke the ball over the line.

Joey McCormick came close to adding a second for Rovers as he found some space to run in to. Heading for goal he cut inside from the right before shooting with his left however his shot was a weak one and easily gathered by Walton.

HALF TIME: Rovers U18’s 1-0 Barnsley U18’s

Mohammed Saeed caused the home side a few problems with his pace down the left. He threatened straight from the restart but a brilliantly timed sliding tackle from Ben Greasley stopped him in his tracks.

Ten minutes into the half Barnsley got their equaliser. Logan Jeffs got on the end of a very good free kick whipped into the box and his looping header beat Jonny Iveson in the Rovers net.

Minutes later the home side almost took the lead again through Joe Pugh as he took a shot at goal on the turn. Dipping and curling, it looked to be heading for the top corner but narrowly missed the right post.

Pugh again caused problems as Michael Carberry’s shot was blocked in the area, the rebound fell to the Rovers number 9 whose shot from ten yards was brilliantly saved by Walton.

Rovers were the better side and continued to pressure through Pugh whose header escaped the bar from a Greasley cross. With two minutes added time neither side could find a winner the the game was to go to extra time.

FULL TIME: Rovers 1-1 Barnsley

Despite Rovers finishing the second half the stronger side, it was Barnsley who threatened in extra time. Matt Parkin put in a great block to deny Saeed before Mbuti cleared a corner off the line.

Rovers livened however up with 15 minutes to play. Joey McCormick worked hard to test the Barnsley defence and went close with a volley on the edge of the area.

Moments later Rovers got the winning goal they deserved and although Michael Carberry was the goalscorer it was brilliantly assisted by the hard working Pugh. The striker showed great footwork on the edge of the area and seeing an unmarked Carberry to his left, played the ball in to the left back who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

With two minutes added time in extra time the referee blew his whistle and it was Rovers who advanced to the second round.

Team Lineups-

Rovers: Iveson, Greasley, Carberry, Williamson, Mbuti, Parkin, Linley, Pugh, McCormick (Henderson 112), Barker, Longbottom (Fielding 118’)

Unused Subs: Jones, Walker, Gains

Barnsley: Walton, Ottley, Rielly (Palmer 45’) , Smith, Jeffs, Hanna, Bree, Wardle, Landu (Clare 45’), Alton, Saeed (Rowe 116’)

Unused Subs: Lund, Murphy

Advertisement block