Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/10/2015

3 October 2015

Rovers - 2 (Anderson 35', Chaplow 90')
Barnsley - 1 (Winnall 60')

Saturday 3rd October
Keepmoat Stadium
SkyBet League One

Playing your rivals is always one of the biggest games of the season but to win it in the 90th minute is one Rovers fans will savour for a very long time, the hero of the hour Richard Chaplow popped up in stoppage time with an effort that nearly took the back of the net off.  

There was an early chance for the hosts as Chaplow's initial corner was cleared by the Barnsley defence only for the ball to fall at the feet of Keshi Anderson, the striker laid the ball back to Cedric Evina who whipped an inviting ball that nearly found its way into Nick Townsend's bottom left corner. 

The visitors had their own effort on goal moments later as Josh Scowen played a through ball to Marley Watkins, he continued to press the Rovers defence backwards to their own 18-yard box, the ex- Inverness CT player decided to have an effort on goal but his shot was well over the bar. 

On the 8th minute of the game all sides of the stadium stood up in unison to remember Richard Hawcroft, a wonderful sight to see by two fierce Yorkshire rivals.
Barnsley began to step up their game with Kadeem Harris beginning to cause problems down the right hand side. The 22-year old who is on loan from Cardiff City skipped past James Horsfield and drilled a ball across the box which was just missed by the head of Watkins. 

It was Harris again down that right-hand side which nearly saw the Tykes take the lead after their opening spell of possession. He again evaded Horsfield but this time instead of floating a ball into the box he chose to go alone, his right-footed curler was inches away from nestling into Stuckmann's top corner. 

Lee Johnson's men continued with their pressure but it was another solid defensive display from Andy Butler and co to keep the scores level. The ball was flicked inside by Watkins which found the onrushing Sam Winnall to take aim but thankfully for Rovers Luke McCullough was there to make a vital block. 

Rovers began to dominate possession with 10 minutes of the half remaining which eventually saw the boys in the red and white hoops open the scoring, a delicious ball in by Chaplow was flicked in by Keshi Anderson at the front post to give the hosts the lead in this highly-anticipated derby. 

HALF TIME: Rovers 1-0 Barnsley

Barnsley could have been level three minutes after the restart, a galloping run by ex-Rovers right back Recce Wabara picked out the head of Winnall but the 5ft 11inch striker was not tall enough to apply the finish.

On the hour mark the Tykes' pressure finally paid off as a corner from Conor Hourihane was headed home by Winnall, redemption after missing his previous chance a few minutes earlier.  

Wabara saw his name on the back pages of tomorrow's papers as he ambitiously tried to beat big German goalkeeper from a long way out but his left-footed effort was easily saved by Stuckmann in the Rovers goal. 

Rovers began to step up the pressure like they did towards the end of the first period, it was another corner by Chaplow that caused Barnsley a headache, a commanding header from Butler who was up from the back was just wide of Townsends left post. 

This game began to turn into a game of tennis with the we have an effort, then you can have a go kind of temperament. A long goal kick by Townsend was picked out of the sky by Harris who went alone once again but there was Stuckmann as big as ever to deny the tricky winger. 

If a game ever needed a hero today was that day. Low and behold up stepped Chaplow in the nick of time, a through ball by substitute Harry Middleton into the path of the advancing Chaplow who as instinctive as ever, pulled the trigger first time to send the Rovers fans home with fixed smiles on their faces.

The hosts could have extended their lead further a few moments later as another through ball by another youngster Liam Mandeville, found Anderson who had already got onto the score sheet but his effort was ushered out for a corner kick. 

FULL TIME: Rovers 2-1 Barnsley 

Team Lineups- 

Rovers: Stuckmann, Horsfield (Taylor-Sinclair 74'), Evina, Butler, McCullough, Chaplow, Wellens, Coppinger (Middleton 56'), N’Guessan (Mandeville 80'), Williams, Anderson.

Unused Subs: Marosi, Forrester, Keegan, Stewart. 

Cautions: Wellens (74') Chaplow (90') 

Barnsley: Townsend, Wabara (Roberts 80'), Mawson, Nyatanga, G.Smith (M.Smith 80'), Watkins, Scowen (Crowley 80'), Hourihane Pearson, Harris, Winnall

Unused Subs: Davies, Jackson, Bree, Rothwell.

Cautions: N/A

Attendance: 9033

Advertisement block