Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rovers 0-0 Burton (Rovers win 5-3 on penalties)

1 September 2015

Rovers continue their hundred percent penalty record as a shootout is required for the second time this season at the Keepmoat.

Doncaster Rovers - 0
Burton Albion - 0

Tuesday 1st September, 7.45pm
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Johnstone’s Paint Trophy

Following the victory against Fleetwood at the weekend Rovers were back at the Keepmoat looking to head into round two of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

Andy Butler captained the side as Paul Dickov named a number of youngsters in his starting eleven, including first year professionals Paul McKay and Liam Mandeville. Paul Keegan also returned to the side for the first time in six months.

The visitors started the stronger of the two sides enjoying more possession while Rovers did the chasing.

Despite enjoying a string of corners Thorsten Stuckmann remained untested in the Rovers goal.

The home side went close when Liam Mandeville laid the ball off for Paul McKay following a Rovers corner. Under pressure McKay attempted a scissor kick which was deflected just wide of the post.

Stuckmann was called into action as former Rover Mark Duffy delivered a dangerous free kick into the box which was met by Anthony O’Connor. His header towards goal was heavily deflected wrong-footing Stuckmann but the German made a great fingertip save.

It was Rovers who had the next piece of action. Mandeville again did well to hold the ball up in the box, before laying it off to Curtis Main who driving towards goal lost balance and his shot was blocked.

It was Rovers again who threatened before half time. Neat play between Whitehouse and Mandeville set up Main whose first time shot on the angle stung the palms of Remi Matthews in the Burton goal.

HALF TIME: Rovers 0-0 Burton

Paul Dickov made two substitutions at half time, bringing on young goalkeeper Marko Marosi, and Richard Chaplet replaced Paul Keegan.

The early pressure in the second half was from the visitors as Rovers struggled to keep the ball in the middle. However, on the break Whitehouse picked up the ball just outside his own area before running 40 yards downfield. Laying it off to Harry Middleton, the youngster cut back for Main whose first time shot from 25 yards looked to be curling into the bottom corner, but for the fingertips of Matthews.

The Brewers should have gone ahead through Lucas Akins as Jerome Binnom-Williams beat his defender before crossing to the penalty spot. Akins made good contact but his effort was wide of the post.

Shortly afterwards Marosi made a great save to deny Tom Flanagan from point blank range as the Burton man headed towards goal from six yards.

The young keeper was tested again as a clearance fell to a Burton shirt. With hardly any time to react Marosi dived low to his right to keep the shot out and make another fine save.

Both teams picked up the pace in the final ten minutes as they looked to avoid a penalty shoot out, however it remained goalless and after three minutes added time the referee blew for full time at the Keepmoat. The winner was to be decided by a penalty shoot out.


Andy Williams - Scored (1-0)
Lucas Akins - Scored (1-1)
Curtis Main - Scored (2-1)
Callum Reilly - Scored (2-2)
Harry Middleton - Scored (3-2)
Tom Naylor - MISSED (3-2)
Richard Chaplow - Scored (4-2)
Jerome Binnom- Williams - Scored (4-3)
Cameron Stewart- Scored (5-3)

Team Lineups-

Rovers: Stuckmann (Marosi 45’), Lund, Butler (c), P.McKay, Evina, Keegan (Chaplow 45’), Middleton, Stewart, Whitehouse, Main, Mandeville (Williams 72')

Subs not used: MacKenzie, Coppinger

Burton: Matthews, Naylor, O'Connor, Flanagan, McCrory, Akins, Butcher (Reilly 51’), Weir, Duffy (Binnom-Williams 60'), Palmer, Joachim

Subs not used: McLaughlin, Thiele, Austin

Attendance: 2,596

Advertisement block