Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

What the Papers say

21 September 2015

A round up of reports relating to Saturday's 1-1 draw with Oldham Athletic.

Guardian - It was the same order on the field. Rovers went ahead through Andy Butler in the 26th minute. Jonathan Burn equalised in the 34th. Both are centre-backs, up for set-pieces. The occasion was more pleasing than the football. The caretakers’ union knows how to shake hands but their clubs are side by side below the dotted line of League One.
But after the shabby lunchtime fare at Stamford Bridge, sent proudly round the world by the Premier League, English football needed a game like this for reassurance. Its fans here are the lucky ones, among whole hearts.

Yorkshire Post – Managerless duo Doncaster and Oldham are in the bottom four after this result.
But that has not prevented Rovers caretaker Rob Jones from throwing his hat into the ring to claim the job on a permanent basis.
After his home bow in charge, Jones, who has been in charge of the development squad side for the past 12 months, said: “I love being in this position, it is a privileged position and it is what I want to do and I think the passion the players showed typifies where I am coming from.”

Doncaster Free Press - Rovers have also found someone, in loan winger Cameron Stewart, who can take a set piece. He set up the goal with one free-kick, almost set up another, went close to curling home a sublime dead ball from distance and his corners were on the money throughout.
And despite the frustration of not being able to turn one point into three, there were other positives for Jones too.
His side continue to look fairly secure at the back. They also never looked like losing this game, although in truth Oldham offered little quality or ambition.

Manchester Evening News - David Dunn’s first game as Oldham Athletic interim manager ended with a draw after his side were held at Doncaster Rovers.
Jonny Burn equalised for Latics after Andy Butler had given the hosts the lead, meaning the two teams had to settle for a point at the Keepmoat Stadium.

And how we reported it… Rovers took the lead initially before the visitors equalised and despite dominating the second half, a hard working Rovers side were unable to find the winner that they deserved.

Advertisement block