Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 30/04/2016

30 April 2016


Crewe come from behind to get their first win in 16 games and beat Rovers.

Attendance: 4403 (861)

Unused Subs: Stuckmann, McKenzie, Middleton, Pugh
Rovers: Matthews, Alcock, Butler, Evina, Lund (Taylor-Sinclair 45’), McCullough, Rowe, Calder (Stewart 70’), Coppinger ©, Williams, Tyson (Mandeville 70’)

Unused Subs: Richards, Nugent, Cooper, Kirk

Crewe: Garratt, Turton, Davis (c), Guthrie, Bakayogo, Fox, Jones, Bingham, Ainley (Udoh 80’), Haber (Ray 83’), Saunders (Inman 71’)

Team Lineups-

FULL TIME: Crewe 3-1 Rovers

Despite playing three minutes of stoppage time there was no way back for Rovers and it finished 3-1.

In the dying minutes it was heartbreak for Rovers as substitute Bradden Inman picked up the ball and tried his luck from range, firing low at goal his shot brilliantly found the bottom corner.

Stewart delivered another wicked ball across the box with minutes to play, all it needed was a touch but Williams was inches away from equalising!

Rovers pushed and pushed, Darren Ferguson bought on Liam Mandeville and Cameron Stewart in the hope of finding an equaliser. Cameron Stewart delivered a number of good balls into the box and Williams went agonisingly close when his header at the back post went just over the bar.

Andy Williams went close again as fantastic footwork from him saw him shoot with his left foot on the turn, but his effort just bent past the right post.

Minutes later Crewe took the lead. There was another mix up in the Rovers box and as they failed to clear the ball Marcus Haber smashed the ball in at the back post.

It was end to end stuff as Matthews was called upon to make a brave save down the other end following a scramble in the box.

Rowe was then bundled over in the box after breaking through but no penalty was given.

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair was introduced in the second half as Mitchell Lund made way. It was a dramatic start to the half as Rovers had a goal disallowed. Nathan Tyson turned in an Andy Williams ball across the box but the linesman had his flag up.

HALF TIME: Crewe 1-1 Rovers

As Rovers looked to go in at the break a goal to the good, a lapse in concentration at the back gifted a goal to the home side. After a nothing ball was played into the box, Cedric Evina failed to clear it and was robbed by Callum Ainley who poked the ball home from 6 yards giving Matthews no chance.

Rowe was in the thick of the action again as he set up Coppinger with a free header in the area but it was straight at Garratt. Williams then fired over after finding space to shoot on the edge of the area.

It was however Tommy Rowe who broke the deadlock on 28 minutes for Rovers with his third goal in three games. Picking up the ball, he again drove at goal before hitting a great strike past Ben Garratt to put Rovers ahead.

Rowe almost put Rovers ahead after lovely interplay with Williams. The Wolves loanee broke through but strong defending from Davis took him away from goal before he was able to get his shot off.

Crewe had a great chance on the break following a long clearance. Callum Saunders got on the end of it and beat Mitchell Lund for pace as he broke into the box but he dragged his shot wide of the post.

Following the injury to Gary McSheffrey, Nathan Tyson came back into the starting lineup while young Joe Pugh earned a place on the bench following a string of successful performances in the Development side.

SkyBet League One
Greets Road, Crewe
Saturday 30th April

Rovers: 1 (Rowe 28’)
Crewe: 3 (Ainley 44’, Haber 56’, Inman 89')

Advertisement block