Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Mansfield 1 Rovers 1

31 December 2016

Liam Mandeville's converted penalty was enough to earn Rovers a point at Mansfield.

Mansfield Town 1
(Green 49)
Doncaster Rovers 1
(Mandeville 77pen)

Saturday, December 31
Field Mill
Sky Bet League Two
Liam Mandeville's converted penalty was enough to earn Rovers a point at Mansfield.

Matt Green had put the Stags ahead, but Mandeville sloot home in the closing stages to ensure the match finished level.

Rovers were again unchanged, with Andy Butler captaining the side as James Coppinger sat out the final match of his three-game ban.

The first exchanges of play were very open, with an early chance coming following a smart move down the left. Liam Mandeville ended up clipping the ball in, but it was just too far in front of Andy Williams

Mansfield tried to get the ball quickly into the area and had a prime opportunity after 16 minutes when they were awarded a free-kick for a foul on CJ Hamilton.

The ball was laid into the path of Mal Benning from the set-piece, with his first-time shot struck sweetly enough but straight into the massed ranks of Rovers defenders and Mathieu Baudry cleared.

Rovers had two good chances after 20 minutes after breaking down the left. Tommy Rowe ran into space and his ball through for Williams left the forward in a dangerous spot, but a last-ditch tackle from Benning as he turned for space prevented him getting a shot away.

The ball went straight back into the area, but was just too high for John Marquis.

Williams was in the thick of it jsut after the half-hour mark, as his shot following a Marquis flick-on was blocked by Kyle Howkins.

Williams also got his head on the ball from the resulting corner, but his effort went over, while he also headed wide after 39 minutes after leaping high to win the ball from a Mandeville delivery.

HALF-TIME: Mansfield 0 Rovers 0

Neither side made any changes at the break, with Marosi the first keeper to be forced after action when he got down quickly to turn away a shot ftom Hamilton. Jordan Houghton nodded away the resulting corner.

Rhys Bennett threatened moments later, heading over from Hamilton's pull-back.

Mansfield went ahead after 59 minutes through Matt Green. Benning's shot from distance was flicked home by Green and found its way into the bottom left corner.

Marquis went close to an equaliser after 69 minutes when Williams broke and fed his strike partner - his powerful effort went ride.

Rovers carved out a great opportunity after 74 minutes when Rowe broke into the area. His delivery found Blair, who cushioned the ball back into the path of Marquis with his head - but the No.9 just couldn't get there in time.

Rovers did draw level after 77 minutes. Scott Shearer raced out quickly to deny Mandeville, but after an initial save brought down Rowe after he collected the ball.

Mandeville calmly slotted the spot-kick into the bottom left corner, as Shearer dived the other way.

Rovers pushed for a winner, with Andy Butler allowed a free header from a corner which was on target but cleared.

Rowe headed the ball against the near post after a Harry Middleton corner. It clipped the inside of the post before being gratefully collected by Shearer.

FULL-TIME: Mansfield 1 Rovers 1

ROVERS | Marosi, Mason, Alcock (Middleton), Butler (c), Baudry, Rowe, Blair, Houghton, Mandeville (Keegan), Marquis, Williams. ROVERS SUBS | Jones, Wright, Beestin, Calder, Longbottom.
STAGS XI | Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins (c), Pearce, Clements (M.Rose), Green, Baxendale (Hurst), Howkins, Hamilton, D.Rose (Hoban). STAGS SUBS | Jensen, Thomas, Hemings, Maguire. BOOKED | Pearce, D Rose.

ATTENDANCE | 5,042 (1,618)

Advertisement block