Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 27/02/2016

27 February 2016


Despite Rovers domination, they are denied all three points thanks to Jordan Archer heroics late on.

Attendance: 6,810 (825)

Cautions: Webster 56’, Thompson 80'

Unused Subs: Forde, Williams, Nelson, Philpot, Mbulu

Millwall: Archer, Martin, Gregory, Beevers, Webster, Ferguson (O’Brien 76’), Morison (c), Thompson, Wallace (Onyedinma 89’), Abdou, Romeo

Cautions: Chaplow 54’ Lund 54’, McCullough 90’

Unused Subs: Marosi, Mandeville, Butler, Coppinger, Stewart

Rovers:  Stuckmann, Evina, McCullough, Taylor-Sinclair, Lund, Alcock, Keegan (Middleton 52’), Chaplow, Grant, Williams (Gooch 60’), Tyson

Team Lineups-

FULL TIME: Rovers 1-1 Millwall

On that the referee blew for full time and a hard working Rovers were unlucky not to take all three points.

As the home side dominated the game it looked as though they would get the winner they deserved. More brilliant work from Tyson set Conor Grant through on goal. With an option to square the ball or go for goal he looked to place it past Archer at the near post but again Millwall man made an excellent save to keep the scores level.

Tyson went agonisingly close again as we approached 90 minutes. After a lovely one-two with Chaplow the striker was set free into the box. Trying to poke the ball past Archer with the outside of his boot, somehow the Millwall keeper made a great save with his legs.

Nathan Tyson caused a number of problems for the Millwall back line. Robbing the defender of the ball he twisted and turned on the edge of the box before getting a shot off but Archer again was there to make the save.

Darren Ferguson introduced Lynden Gooch to the game as Rovers really started to take control on the ball.  The Sunderland loanee almost made an instant impact as Mitchell Lund’s flick on fell to him in the 6 yard box. With his back to goal he headed towards the far post but his effort was inches wide.

It was a lively start to the second half as both teams looked up for it. Steve Morison had the easiest of chances to put the visitors ahead as a ball was played across the box. Fizzing past Stuckmann, it just needed a touch but Morison somehow missed from three yards.

HALF TIME: Rovers 1-1 Millwall

Rovers finished the half on a high and went in deservedly level at half time.

The Rovers goalscorer had a chance to get his second just before half time. Driving into the box he took a shot from 12 yards but Jordan Archer made an excellent save low to his left.

After a stale period midway through the first half Rovers came to life and former Millwall player Richard Chaplow equalised. After a wonderful run from Andy Williams, the striker weaved his way into the box before playing a square ball for Chaplow to bravely get on the end of and smash home.

Rovers first chance fell to skipper for the day Paul Keegan whose free kick from 25 yards went just over the cross bar.

It wasn’t the best start for the home side who conceded early as Millwall took the lead on six minutes. As Paul Keegan looked to comfortably head the ball back to Thorsten Stuckmann, he didn’t get good enough contact allowing Steve Morison through on goal. With no option but to come off his line, Morison comfortable lobbed the ball over the Rovers keeper.

Darren Ferguson made a number of changes to his starting eleven looking for three points, Richard Chaplow and Craig Alcock returned to the starting lineup, whilst Harry Middleton and Cameron Stewart dropped to the bench.

The Lions - under the tutelage of former legendary striker Neil Harris - have risen in to the play off positions after a run of six wins in eight games.

Darren Ferguson's Rovers were looking for their first win in four games and returned to the Keepmoat Stadium after a narrow defeat to Barnsley at Oakwell last Saturday.

SkyBet League One
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Saturday 27th February, 2016

Millwall - 1 (Morison 6’)
Rovers - 1 (Chaplow 37’)

Advertisement block