Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Development Report: Grimsby 0-2 Rovers

27 January 2016

Rob Jones' men come away from the seaside victorious.

Grimsby - 0
Rovers - 2 (MacKenzie 44’, Linley 60')

Wednesday, 27th January, 2016
Final third Development League

Having played 45 minutes for the first team in last night’s match against Port Vale, Marko Marosi was back to action for the Development this afternoon. First team members Gary MacKenzie, Curtis Main and Liam Mandeville were also all named in the starting eleven.

It was a slow start to the game in terrible conditions by the seaside for both teams. The hosts started the stronger side and tested the Rovers defence with a number of crosses into the box, however none of them tested Marosi.

They could have gone ahead following a wind-assisted goal mouth scramble but Michael Carberry was there to defend well and clear the ball.

Despite playing for the first team against Port Vale less than 24 hours ago, Liam Mandeville ran the show and caused the Grimsby back line all sorts of problems.

Making a number of runs down the left hand side, he came close to finding the net after losing his man and working his way into the box. Taking a shot on goal it required a good block from the defender to deny him.

Mandeville hit the post moments later as his first time shot on the edge of the area was tipped onto the woodwork by Warrington.

Curtis Main could have put Rovers ahead when Billy Whitehouse picked him out at the back post. The striker was unmarked and headed at goal but a brilliant reaction save from Warrington kept it at 0-0.

A minute before half time Rovers got their goal following a lot of pressure. Grimsby failed to clear a Mandeville corner and Gary MacKenzie was there at the back post to head in from four yards.

HALF TIME: Grimsby 0-1 Rovers

The hosts had a chance to get level almost straight from the restart as they found themselves four on two with the Rovers defence. With options in the box the Grimsby front man decided to go for goal allowing Marosi to make the save.

Mandeville thought he’d doubled Rovers lead as a great ball from Whitehouse split the Grimsby defence allowing Main to play the ball to the Rovers striker. Finishing well into the bottom corner, the linesman had his flag up.

The Mariners went close as Cliffton struck a first time shot from the edge of the area but it was just past the post and didn’t trouble substitute goalkeeper Louis Jones.

On the hour mark Rob Jones’ side doubled their lead through captain Jordan Linley. good build up play from Whitehouse initially saw the ball fall to Linley in the area who nicely finished into the bottom corner with the outside of his boot.

Grimsby did have their chances. Jennings came close as the ball fell to him on the edge of the area, despite striking well Jones made a good save.

With little more chances for either side that was the last of the action and Rob Jones’ men came away victorious.

Team Lineups-

Grimsby:  Warrington, Sibbick, Sunter, Hough, Crowther, Sawyer (Finnegan 82’), Mackreth, Venney, Clifton, Wright, Jennings

Unused Subs: J. Pearson, Lawis, Keeble, Lofts

Cautions: Finnegan 90'

Rovers: Marosi (Jones 59’), Mbuti, Whitehouse, Linley (c (Wanless 81’), MacKenzie, Longbottom (Parkin 80’), Williamson (Fielding 77’), Davies, Main, Mandeville, Carberry (Greasley 63’)

Unused Subs: -

Cautions: Davies 87'

Advertisement block