Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Iron 2-0 Rovers

8 March 2016

Iron seal derby victory.

Scunthorpe - 2 (Hopper 7’ , Mirfin 58')
Rovers - 0

Tuesday 8th March, 2016
Glanford Park, Scunthorpe
SkyBet League One

Rovers made the short journey along the M18 to face Scunthorpe United in a rearranged fixture at Glanford Park; a venue which has seen Doncaster win on three of their last four outings.

Doncaster significantly hold the historical record though with 24 wins to Scunthorpe’s 16 over the last 50 years.

Both sides were looking to make their game in hand count – after February’s postponement – as the Iron still cling to their slim chances of making the end of season play offs while Rovers are desperate to end their winless run and move away from the bottom four.

Darren Ferguson made a number of changes from the defeat at the weekend and bought in Richard Chaplow, Cedric Evina and Paul Keegan.

With a packed out away end it was the visitors who started brightly. They were inches away from going ahead just five minutes in. A wonderful through ball from Riccardo Calder set Nathan Tyson free, the striker was tackled but Lynden Gooch curled a first time shop narrowly past the post.

Rovers energy was short lived however and minutes later Scunthorpe took the lead. Some lovely interplay from the home side sent Conor Townsend surging down the left, crossing the ball low into the box Tom Hopper was there to tap in from close range.

The home side almost doubled their lead as a loose ball fell to Stephen Dawson on the edge of the area. The Iron captain hit an absolute screamer with the outside of his boot which somehow missed the left post.

As we approached half time Thorsten Stuckmann made two world class saves to keep Rovers in the game. As Scunthorpe broke into the box, Paddy Madden smashed a shot at goal forcing Stuckmann to react quickly at his near post.

From the resulting corner the ball fell to Murray Wallace who then hit a powerful drive at goal, again forcing the Rovers keeper to make an acrobatic save.

HALF TIME: Scunthorpe 1-0 Rovers

Scunthorpe started the second half as they finished the first. Working the ball well, Tom Hopper again found his way into the area before shooting from six yards. What should have been a certain goal was somehow kept out by by the legs of Stuckmann with another brilliant save.

As the hour mark approached the home side doubled their lead. As a corner came in David Mirfin found his way through a number of Rovers bodies to head the ball home from six yards.

Chances were few and far between for Rovers and captain Paul Keegan came closes as he got on the end of a Conor Grant free kick. Volleying at goal, his side footed effort just missed the crossbar.

In stoppage time another good run from Gooch saw him work his way into the area. Squaring the ball for Andy Williams, the Rovers substitute shot first time forcing Daniels into a good save.

FULL TIME: Scunthorpe 2-0 Rovers

Team Lineups-

Scunthorpe: Daniels, Clarke, Mirfin, Wallace, Townsend, Ness, Bishop, Dawson (King 80’), O’Brien (McSheffrey 90’), Madden, Hopper (Wootton 85’).

Unused Subs: Anyon, Laird, Vose, Adelakun.

Cautions: Clarke 82'

Rovers:  Stuckmann, McCullough, Butler, Taylor-Sinclair, Lund (Williams 45’), Evina, Calder (Grant 58’), Keegan (c), Chaplow, Gooch, Tyson

Unused Subs: Jones, Stewart, MacKenzie, Middleton, Mandeville

Attendance: 4,887

Advertisement block