Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 1 Stevenage 0

2 January 2017

On the day that Rovers celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Keepmoat Stadium it was a day to remember as victory over Stevenage sent them to the top of the table.

Doncaster Rovers 1 
Stevenage 0 

Monday January 2  2017
Keepmoat Stadium 
Sky Bet League Two
Attendance: 5,604 aAway 196)

On the day that Doncaster Rovers celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Keepmoat Stadium it was a day to remember as victory over Stevenage sent them back to the top of Sky Bet League Two.

The goal came with five minutes to go, when Tommy Rowe twisted and turned in the left of the area before taking a shot which went in via visiting defender Fraser Franks.

Rovers kicked off the day’s proceedings by announcing that the loan signing of Everton player Conor Grant, who was back for his second stint with the South Yorkshire side.

He was included in Darren Ferguson’s starting XI  and he was involved right from the get-go as he played a slick ball down Borough’s right flank which was duly picked up by  Rowe. 

Rowe whipped a fantastic ball into the box which was met by the head of forward John Marquis, but his powerful header was caught by goalkeeper Jamie Jones.

Rovers continued to dominate but could not find that decisive final pass, some lovely play from new signing Grant and youngster Harry Middleton almost broke the deadlock.

Grant collected a throw in from Rowe, his inch-perfect touch took him round the Boro defence before laying the ball off to James Coppinger. 

Copps laid the responsibility onto the shoulders of Middleton, who lashed his left-footed effort in the direction of the top right corner but once again Jones was equal to the Rovers chance.

Rovers had the final chance of the half and it fell to Grant once again, a well-worked move down the middle of the field eventually fell to the loanee, but his outside of the foot effort was straight down the throat of Jones. 

Half-time: Rovers 0-0 Stevenage FC

Rovers resumed where they left off after the half-time break and after 50 minutes were within inches of going a goal to the good.

A corner from Coppinger was met by the head of Andy Butler before being flicked on by Mathieu Baudry which was subsequently cleared off the line. 

The ball came back in from the edge of the box and this time found Middleton within two yards of the goal, unfortunately for him his effort rattled off the bar and away from danger. 

Grant fired wide just after the hour mark as Rovers countered before Ferguson made his first change, introducing Andy Williams at the expense of Middleton.

Williams immediately found space down the right, though there was no one for his pull-back.

Marquis also went close with a first-time effort from just outside the area, before the late intervention from Rowe sealed the points.

ROVERS | Marosi, Baudry, Butler, Mason, Houghton, Blair, Rowe, Middleton (Williams), Grant, Marquis, Coppinger (C) (Keegan). Rovers subs | Jones, Wright, Alcock, Beestin, May, Williams.
BORO | Jones, King, Franks, Walker (Lee), Pett, Kennedy (McAnuff), Gorman, Tongue, Godden (Liburd), Henry (C), Ntlhe. Stevenage subs | Schumacher, Day, Cowans, Johnson. BOOKED | Pett, King

Advertisement block