Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Guiseley 0 Rovers 1

22 July 2017

Liam Mandeville’s fifth goal of pre-season sealed victory at Guiseley.

Darren Ferguson included two trialists in his line-up, with Issam Ben Khamis making his third pre-season appearance and a newcomer in the defensive midfield role.


Rovers threatened first in the second minute as Andy William broke down the right and fed Ben Khamis, but his fierce drive went over.


The home side’s first chance came after seven minutes when Reece Thompson intercepted a backpass, but Marko Marosi made himself big and there was no way past.


The home side were the next to threaten after 14 minutes with a cross from a trialist to the far post - Danny Andrew control then cleared well.


A minute later he got a vital deflection on a long-range shot from John Rooney, which came after a short set-piece move, which Marosi palmed away at his near post.


Marosi was the busiest keeper in the opening period, collecting the ball again after 18 minutes when the trialist playing in the No.10 role for the home side forced his way through and scuffed a shot.


The deadlock was broken by Rovers after 19 minutes. The trialist playing in the defensive midfield role tried a powerful swerving shot from distance, which Jonny Maxted could not hold and was turned in from close range by Liam Mandeville for his fifth goal of pre-season.


Chances were at a real premium for the rest of the opening half, with Mandeville going closest for Rovers and the home side enjoying plenty of possession without much penetration.


The only half chance came after 42 minutes when Tyler Garratt did well to dig out a cross from the left, with Williams winning the header but unable to get enough power on it to trouble Maxted. There was also a late chance for the home side, with Thompson unable to get his header on target from a cross whipped in from the right.


Rovers made three changes at the break, with Ben Whiteman, Joe Wright and Tyler Walker coming on in place of Andrew, Craig Alcock and the trials who had played in the more defensive role.


Tommy Rowe came on with just over half an hour to go, replacing James Coppinger, and almost scored immediately with a left-footed effort which went just over after collecting a pass from Williams.


Then the rest of the changes came, with Ian Lawlor, John Marquis, Alfie May and Reece Fielding entering the fray in place of Marosi, Williams, Mandeville and Andy Butler.


It took until the 70th minute for the next real chance though, with May twice seeing shots blocked after being fed by Marquis.


The No.9’s first chance came five minutes later, after he collected a pass from Rowe, but a deflection meant it was easy for Maxted to collect.


Lawlor was forced into his first real save moments later when Rooney’s free-kick from close to the a corner flag threatened to sneak in under the bar. He then got down well to block a close-range effort from Thompson.


Rooney again tried his luck with a set-piece with five minutes to go, this time it went over the bar without troubling Lawlor.


But neither keeper were truly troubled again as the game played to a close without any real incident.

Advertisement block