Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Tadcaster Albion 0 Rovers 2

15 July 2017

Gary McSheffrey and Liam Mandeville scored as Rovers registered a routine win at Tadcaster Albion.

Rovers boss Darren Ferguson again named a strong side, with two trialists supplementing the numbers - one at centre back and one in centre midfield.


Alfie Beestin was handed the captain’s armband as he played against his former club for the first time since his move from the i2i Stadium a year earlier.


The home side threatened first with a corner after seven minutes, but it did not beat first man Danny Andrew.


Rovers went close with a counter attack, with great move seeing Andrew and Beestin exchange passes down the left. Beestin's pull-back found John Marquis, whose effort was well stopped by Michael Ingram, with Andy Williams’ effort on the rebound then pushed on to the near post by the keeper.


Williams went close again after 17 minutes when he just could not get on the end of a Matty Blair pullback, and seconds later James Coppinger had an effort saved by Ingham.


Coppinger carved open a chance for himself after 22 minutes, turning just inside the area, but his effort was easy for Ingham to pluck out of the air.


Williams flicked a header just over, from an Andrew cross, after 31 minutes.


Tadcaster’s first real chance of the half came after 35 minutes with a Josh Greening free-kick from outside the area. He attempted to curl the ball into the far top corner, although Ian Lawlor watched it wide without too much concern.


Chances then came in a flurry for home side, with a Greening snapshot and Tom Corner header.


One of the trialists went close to breaking the deadlock after 42 minutes with a powerful drive from just outside the area.


There was still time for Corner to threaten for the home side, but he didn’t get his full weight behind the shot and the low daisy cutter was easy for Lawlor to collect.


Ferguson rotated the squad for the second half, with only the midfield trials staying on as he sought to impress the Rovers boss.


Ingham was the first keeper in action, stopping a Liam Mandeville effort from close range.


Marko Marosi had to scramble after a curling Greening effort, it was not clear if he got a hand to the ball but referee Gareth Rhodes ruled he had.


The midfield trialist was replaced,by a third trialist. Rovers went ahead after 57 minutes when Tyler Walker’s cross from the right to the far post was volleyed home in style by McSheffrey.


Ingham had to be alert to stop Tommy Rowe making it 2-0, after the midfielder got on the end of Mandeville’s cutback, moments later.


Rovers doubled their advantage when they were awarded a penalty after 71 minutes. The third trialist was fouled in the area - it was a clumsy rather than malicious challenge - and Mandeville stepped up to score in the bottom left corner with Ingham going the other way.


Ben Whiteman tried to recreate his long-range goal from Tuesday night after 77 minutes, but his effort from outside the area was straight at Ingham.


The second midfield trialist almost got on the scoresheet with eight minutes to go. He collected a diagonal pass from McSheffrey and cut inside, but his low effort was stopped by Ingham at his near post.

Advertisement block