Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Hartlepool 2 Rovers 1

6 May 2017

Rovers missed out on the Sky Bet League Two title after a 2-1 defeat at Hartlepool United.

Hartlepool United 2

(Rodney 74, 83)

Doncaster Rovers 1

(Williams 31)

Saturday May 6

Victoria Park, Hartlepool

Sky Bet League Two

Rovers missed out on the Sky Bet League Two title after a 2-1 defeat at Hartlepool United.

Rovers started brightly, and almost went ahead after four minutes. James Coppinger’s cross from a free-kick out on the right was only half cleared, and it took a great diving save from the outstretched Trevor Carson to deny Andy Williams. He went close seconds later, heading over from the resulting corner.

Early half chances all fell to Rovers, as Williams then Marquis were just squeezed out.

Coppinger found himself in space after turning away from his man and, without too many options, went for goal with an effort which went just over the bar.

Lewis Alessandra had Pools’ best chance of the opening half with an effort from distance which went wide, before a host of chances for Rovers after 26 minutes.

John Marquis did not connect with his effort cleanly, before Williams’ hooked effort was cleared when it looked destined for a top corner.

Rovers went ahead just after the hour mark when Mason was clipped on the right wing.

Coppinger took the set-piece, which was cleared back to him. His cross back into the area fell to Williams, who slotted home.

HALF-TIME | Hartlepool 0 Rovers 1

Neither side made any changes at the break, with the home side the first to challenge when Ian Lawlor had to get a strong hand to Alessandra’s piledriver.

Rovers’ first chance came after 52 minutes when Coppinger played through Marquis. Rovers’ top scorer looked to lob Carson, but could not lift it over the home keeper.

Rowe found space down the left to chip in a fantastic cross, which was headed behind with Marquis lurking. Joe Wright headed over from the corner.

The match turned in the final 20 minutes, as news came through from Wales that a win would likely keep them enough.

Pools levelled after 74 minutes when Rovers failed to clear a cross, and Devante Rodney fired home his first EFL goal.

And nine minutes later Pools went ahead when Padraig Amond  broke down the right, his effort was saved by Lawlor but it fell for Devante who fired home once again.

Rovers pushed to get back into the game, knowing only victory could see them crowned champions, but it was not to be.

And it was to be a day of misery for Pools, who were relegated despite victory as Newport County claimed victory in their game with Notts County,

FULL-TIME: Hartlepool 0 Rovers 1

ROVERS | Lawlor, Alcock (McSheffrey), Butler, Wright, Blair, Mason, McCullough, Rowe, Coppinger (c), (Taylor-Sinclair) Marquis, Williams. SUBS | Marosi, Keegan, Grant, May, Mandeville.   BOOKED | McCullough, McSheffrey.


ATTENDANCE | 6,799 (976 away)


Advertisement block