Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ebbsfleet 2 Rovers 6

4 November 2017

Rovers turned on the style in the second-half at Ebbsfleet United to reach the second round of the FA Cup.

Quickfire first-half goals from Danny Kedwell and Luke Coulson had put the home side 2-0 up, but Tommy Rowe and John Marquis levelled before the break.

James Coppinger started the fun in the second period with a goal which was deflected past Nathan Ashmore, before adding a second with a penalty. Jordan Houghton also scored, while Rowe added a second as it finished 6-2 in favour of Rovers.

Darren Ferguson made one change from the win over Bury, with Matty Blair coming in to replace Joe Wright - who sat out as a precaution on a hamstring injury,

Dean Rance earned an early booking after making his presence known with a late tackle on Rodney Kongolo.

Rovers started well, with a number of early chances. John Marquis shot just wide after being put through by Tommy Rowe, before his header from Harry Toffolo’s cross also crept just outside the left-hand post.

Mathieu Baudry was allowed plenty of time to shoot, but his effort ended up with the home fans behind the goal.

Rovers win a couple of corners in quick succession, the first came when Yado Mambo sliced a clearance. The second came from a deflected James Coppiner shot.

The home side showed they could not be discounted, with Luke Coulson flashing a shot wide just before the half-hour mark.

Rovers fell behind after 34 minutes when Ian Lawlor brought down Chris Bush just inside the area.

Danny Kedwell converted the set-piece with a low effort to compound the misery for Lawlor, who was booked

Ebbs fleet quickly doubled their advantage with a breakaway goal, with Luke Coulson converting nicely into a bottom corner.

And they threatened to extend their lead before the break, with Kenny Clark heading wide from a corner as Rovers needed to get to the break to regroup.

But stoppage time saw Rovers get back level with two quickfire goals of their own, with Rowe getting the comeback started by smashing the ball home after breaking into the area.

And it was 2-2 at the break, as home keeper Nathan Ashmore could not hold Rodney Kongolo’s shot and Marquis pounced at the far post.

There was a half-time change for Rovers, with Niall Mason coming on for Craig Alcock.

Coppinger fired Rovers ahead after 52 minutes, with a low show from the edge of the area which took a deflection meaning Ashmore could only watch on as the ball lifted over him.

Rovers had their tails up, with Rowe clipping an effort onto a post.

The home side reacted, bringing on former Manchester United youngster Febian Brandy in place of Mambo.

That helped the home side get back into the game, but they did not really test Lawlor.

Rovers had chances to extend their lead, with Kongolo having an effort blocked as he tried to let fly from just outside the area.

The fourth goal came after 79 minutes. Great work from Coppinger then Marquis set Matty Blair free down the right, he pulled it back for Jordan Houghton to turn it home.

Coppinger almost got his second of the game moments later but Ashmore was out quickly to smother the ball as he raced through on goal.

The home side’s task was made harder when Bush was shown his second yellow card of the game, after a foul on Coppinger.

And Rovers stretched away with their fifth of the game when Marquis was fouled in the area and Coppinger stepped up to chip it home.

That was the Rovers captain’s last act of the day, as he was replaced by Issam Ben Khemis.

Rowe completed his day, firing home Rovers’ sixth before he also came off for Alfie Beestin.

Advertisement block