Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 0 Peterborough United 0

2 September 2017

Doncaster Rovers were held to another goalless draw at the Keepmoat Stadium, in what was a thrilling encounter against Darren Ferguson’s former side.

Ferguson made just one change from the previous week’s defeat at AFC Wimbledon, with Tyler Garratt replacing the injured Danny Andrew.

Deadline day signings Harry Toffolo, and the returning Jordan Houghton, were named on the bench as Rovers hosted the early Sky Bet League One pacesetters Peterborough.

It was the home side who put on the early pressure, immediately pressing forward for the opener.
Andy Butler had Rovers’ first chance, a corner from James Coppinger was met by the centre half, however his header was just over the Peterborough bar.

John Marquis then had Rovers’ next chance just moments later, capitalising on a mistake by Posh defender Ryan Tafazolli, however Marquis’ shot was well saved by Jonathon Bond in the United goal.

Jack Marriott had Peterborough’s first chance of the game shortly afterwards, breaking forward and attempting a shot on goal, however Joe Wright tracking back was equal to it and was able to block.

Marcus Maddison next went closest to the game’s opening goal for the visitors, opening up some space down the right for himself and curling a shot that cannoned back off Ian Lawlor’s crossbar.

He followed it up moments later with another powerful strike from distance that went just wide, but he was finding too much space for the Rovers’ liking.

Maddison was a thorn in the Rovers side, and yet again, it was the midfield man who was causing all sorts of problems for the home side.

He was able to run straight through the challenges of Tommy Rowe and Garratt into the box, but Lawlor was able to get behind his shot and turn it out for a corner.

From the corner though came Rovers’ next chance, the ball broke down the other end and Alfie May was able to cut back on to his left foot by the touch line.

His shot was saved by Bond in the Posh goal and went out for another corner in what was quickly becoming a lively encounter.

Gwion Edwards was the next to test Lawlor as he was able to work an opening from the left and struck from distance, but this time the home keeper palmed the ball away from danger to keep the scores level as the half neared its end.

Marriott had the final chance of the first half for United, with Posh breaking from a Rovers’ corner and the striker was able to gain some space in the Rovers’ box, but again Lawlor stood firm and turned the ball out for another corner.

The second half started slowly, in stark contrast to the first, and the first chance took a while to come.

The first chance did fall to the visitors however, and after a long spell of pressure but on by Posh, the ball eventually fell for Doughty, but his shot from distance was sent well over the bar.

Rovers came forward looking to create chances of their own, and twice they almost found a breakthrough.

First, the returning Jordan Houghton tried his luck from distance, but his shot was blocked by Tafazolli, before Marquis saw another effort blocked by the same man.

Ben Whiteman was the next to test the visitors’ goal, as he found space 25 yards out after good work from Liam Mandeville, however his low effort drifted just wide of Bond’s right post.

Whiteman was again involved in Rovers next attack, winning the ball well from Maddison inside the Posh half and racing forward into the box.

His low cross was met by the on-rushing Andy Williams, however his shot was blocked on the line and somehow the game remained at deadlock.

The intensity of the game was now picking up, and much like the ending to the first half, the second was end-to-end once more.

The visitors’ best chance fell to Steven Taylor, the former Rovers’ trialist heading straight at Lawlor in the Rovers’ goal from a Maddison corner.

Straight from that corner, Rovers broke, and a run from Rowe down the left saw the former United man cross in for Williams, however the striker’s header was tame and easily caught by Bond once again.

Maddison was causing problems for the Rovers down the right-hand side now, and he had yet another effort from distance, but his left-footed effort went well wide of the target.

As the game drew to a close, it was Rovers who did more of the pressing, but the league leaders were able to see the game out, and a point apiece was probably no more than what either team deserved in what was a pulsating game at the Keepmoat.

Advertisement block