Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 0 Scunthorpe 1

17 September 2017

Doncaster Rovers suffered their first home league defeat of the season against local rivals Scunthorpe United.

It was Rovers who made an encouraging start at the Keepmoat Stadium, with a succession of early corners creating good chances for the hosts.

Joe Wright was first to go close for Rovers, with his header from James Coppinger’s corner being flicked over by Lee Novak for another Coppinger corner.

The next corner was swung in by the captain and this time was met by Andy Butler, however he had too much on his header and was well over the Iron’s bar.

Despite the early pressure from Rovers, it was the visitors who took the lead with their first meaningful attack.

Josh Morris won his side a corner and it was from the resulting set piece where the Iron got their goal.
Morris crossed the ball over most of the Rovers’ defence, and there was Novak to power a header home and send United in front.

Still Rovers came forward though, immediately in search of an equaliser, and despite another string of corners, the goal that Rovers needed just wouldn’t come.

Rovers did go close though with yet another attack in what was becoming a very fiery game at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Tricky footwork from Tommy Rowe down the left-hand side saw him work his way in to the area, and his wayward shot instead ricocheted off Andy Williams and went narrowly wide of Matt Gilks’ far post in the Iron goal.

Coppinger was next to test Gilks, however his low drive from just outside the area was narrowly wide as Rovers search for an equaliser went on and would have to go on after the break.

Rovers started the second half brightly, fully intent on setting about to get an early equaliser, and twice in quick succession it almost came.

First, a challenge on Coppinger in the box looked like it could’ve earned the home side a penalty, instead the ball fell for Rowe, who threaded the ball through for John Marquis, however he crashed his shot against Gilks’ far post.

From the next attack came another great opportunity for Rovers to get an equaliser, with the ball coming straight back for the hosts, this time Rowe slotted the ball through for Williams.

Williams was one on one with the keeper bearing down on goal, however he was unable to keep his composure and fired his shot just over the bar.

Matty Blair was the next to try and find a leveller for the Rovers, winning the ball on the left, charging down on goal, but his left footed curler from outside the box went narrowly high and wide.

It was Rovers who were doing all the pressing in the second half, with substitute Alfie May and Rowe causing all sorts of problems down the left, with the two linking up for Rowe to strike once more, however his shot was deflected over.

The visitors had their first effort on goal in the second half as the game drifted towards the final 10 minutes, with them going close to extending their lead through Morris.

A free kick 25 yards out was struck well by Morris, however Ian Lawlor in the Rovers’ goal was equal to it and was able to tip the ball over for a corner, which was then dealt with comfortably by the Rovers’ defence.

Scunthorpe then went close again shortly afterwards, with another Morris set piece causing the home side problems, with his corner being met by Murray Wallace, but his effort was chipped onto the crossbar.

As the game wore on, it was apparent that Rovers were to be increasingly frustrated in their search for an equaliser, which would have been a good reflection on a game where Rovers deserved at least a point.

Rovers travel down to the capital now on Wednesday evening to face Premier League giants, Arsenal, at the Emirates Stadium, looking to cause a huge upset in the third round of the Carabao Cup.

Advertisement block