Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Oldham 0 Rovers 0

28 April 2018

Rovers walked away from Boundary Park with a well-earned point to ensure Darren Ferguson’s side will be plying their trade in Sky Bet League One next season.

Ferguson handed youngster Danny Amos his first league start and it was through him that Rovers created the first chance of the game as his corner was met by the head of Andy Butler, but the towering defender could not place his header on target.

Oldham had their first chance of the game hust before the 10th minute mark as a well-worked move through midfield saw the ball end up at the feet Ducken Nazon, who did well to force a save out of Ian Lawlor.

The Latics continued to press forward desperate of three points which would take them away from the relegation zone, but Jack Byrne’s shot from 25-yards was well over the crossbar.

Rovers fought back and could have taken the lead after 16 minutes when a ball across the box by Blair in the direction of Marquis was heading into the back of the net, but a last-ditch challenge from Tom Hamer kept the scores level.

It was not until after the half hour mark that the next meaningful chance came along and it went the visitors’ way. A through ball by Andy Williams found strike partner Marquis, who drilled the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of Johny Placide’s goal, but the  linesman in the near side had his flag up to rule the goal out for offside.

Ferguson’s side were dangerous from set-pieces throughout the game, and Butler went close to opening the scoring once again whenanother Amos free-kick found the head of the defender, but he could not direct it on target.

The hosts were right out of the block after the break and could have found themselves in front after 49 minutes when a well-worked through ball found Ben Pringle, whose effort looked to be putting Richie Wellens’ side one-up before it was blocked superbly by Mathieu Baudry on the slide.

Oldham continued their assault on Lawlor’s goal and were inches away from finding the top-left corner, Nazon who had been a throne in Rovers’ side throughout the afternoon, unleashed a left-footed curler which left the goalkeeper watching his effort fly past him, thankfully for the Irishman it ended up with the home support behind the goal.

The influence of substitute Alfie Beestin lifted Rovers after the hour mark and he was involved from the get-go, his pass teed up Whiteman, but the former Mansfield Town man could not find the target.

Oldham had the final chance of the game and it came in the dying moments of the game, a corner into the box by Dan Gardner was headed goalwards by Eoin Doyle, but Niall Mason was in the right place at the right time to clear the danger.

Rovers host AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday night looking to secure another three points, before ending the season against Wigan Athletic on May 6.  

Advertisement block