Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burton Albion 1 Rovers 0

18 August 2018

Sponsored by

Grant McCann suffered his first defeat as Rovers boss as Burton Albion battled to a 1-0 victory at the Pirelli Stadium.

The game's deciding goal came two minutes into the second period, with Liam Boyce firing in off a post.

The opening half was evenly-matched, but Rovers created the best chances. They predominantly fell to John Marquis, who was unlucky to see his header cleared off the line by Kyle McFadzean after 17 minutes. Mallik Wilks was the provider with a chipped cross from the right.

The home side had created chances, too, with Joe Sbarra looking most dangerous with a couple of efforts which went wide and Scott Fraser snatching at an effort which also ended up in the stands.

Marvin Sordell also fired wide for the home side before another chance for Marquis, as he steered Niall Mason's cross just wide.

The best chance of the the half fell to Marquis after 33 minutes. Herbie Kane was the provider as he found space in the area and found Marquis - but the centre-forward 's attempt to place a shot into the far corner went wide.

James Coppinger and Marquis combined well after 40 minutes, with the No.26 collecting the ball back from the No.9 and getting a shot away which was well held by former Rovers keeper Stephen Bywater in the home goal.

Rovers fell behind two minutes after the restart, but it did not distract the players from their gameplan.

Wills had a good effort blocked behind after 51 minutes, with Joe Wright heading wide a minute later from a free-kick.

Paul Taylor and Matty Blair came on after 59 minutes as McCann tried to inject some pace into the side in a match the home side were happy to slow down in an attempt to see out the game.

Wills and Marquis saw further chances deflected wide, while Taylor went closest to an equaliser.

The summer signing's free-kick was low under the wall, who had jumped, but a deflection took the pace off it and Bywater collected at the second attempt.

The home keeper was out quickly to nick the ball off the toes of substitute Alfie May with five minutes left to play, and Blair's attempt to loft the ball home went wide.

Advertisement block