Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 0 Shrewsbury Town 0

21 August 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers picked up a point at home against last season’s Sky Bet League One play-off finalists Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday night after a goalless draw at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Both sides had great chances to grab a goal, however a brave performance from Marko Marosi ensured that Rovers held firm to secure a point.

It was Rovers who started well early on, with the home side creating good chances from set-pieces.

Defensive duo Andy Butler and Joe Wright both saw early headers go close as Rovers looked to take the lead early on, but they were unable to find an opener.

They would go even closer just a few minutes later, with John Marquis left unmarked in the area, however his header was blocked on the line by Shrews defender Luke Waterfall.

Tommy Rowe was next to go close for the hosts as he collected the ball from Herbie Kane, however his fierce drive was palmed away brilliantly by Joel Coleman in the visiting goal to ensure the score stayed goalless.

The Shrews went on the attack themselves not long after the half-hour mark, with Shaun Whalley looking to put a cross into the area, however a Rovers boot deflected his low ball just past the post before Lenell John-Lewis was able to connect.

Mallik Wilks worked himself some space down on the right-hand side, cutting inside onto his left foot on the edge of the box, however Coleman got down well to claim the ball.

After the break it would be the Shrews who would start the better, with John-Lewis first to go close.

The Shrews forward collect the ball in the area with his back to goal, and he was allowed too much time and space to shoot on goal, however Marko Marosi got across superbly to deny him the game’s first goal.

Marosi would have to be on his toes again a couple minutes later, this time with a double save to deny John-Lewis.

The Rovers defence backed off too much as Alex Gilliead ran forward down the left, with his cross being met by John-Lewis, only to his first effort parried back out to him, before the Rovers stopper got down low to save well seconds later.

Whalley would be next to try his luck against Marosi with a free-kick from 25 yards out, but once again the Rovers man would come out on top, catching the ball with ease after the Shrews man curled over the wall.

Marosi was being kept busy in the second period, with Greg Docherty worming his way through towards goal before shooting towards the near post, but the Rovers’ ‘keeper once again was able to palm the ball behind for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, James Bolton would go even closer, connecting with a header right in front of goal, only to glance his header wide of the far post.

Marquis would have Rovers’ best chance as the game ticked towards added time, connecting with a Niall Mason cross into the area, only to see his brave header go just wide of Coleman’s far post.

Neither side would be able to find the winning goal inside the five minutes that were added on at the end however, meaning that both sides would walk away from the Keepmoat Stadium with a point apiece.

Rovers return to action this Saturday at home once again as they host one of the league’s early pacesetters Portsmouth in Sky Bet League One.

Advertisement block