Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers U18s 3 Notts County U18s 2

19 August 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers U18s maintain their unbeaten start to the 2018/19 season after coming through a five-goal thriller at Cantley Park.

Paul Stancliffe made no changes to the side that held Huddersfield the previous weekend, but Liam Ravenhill - the son of former Rovers midfielder Ricky - came onto the bench in place of an ill Lirak Hasani.

It was a dream start for Rovers as they opened scoring with their first attack of the game, it all started when skipper AJ Greaves did well to break up play in the middle of the park, releasing Rovers on the attack.

From that, the ball was able to be fed through to Myron Gibbons who chipped a Notts County defender before laying the ball off to the on-running Jack Watson who was able to tuck the ball into the bottom left corner of Max Culverwell's goal.

Rovers kept on pressing from there as Gibbons tried his luck on goal, only for it to be deflected behind for a corner.

Greaves took it short and played some great inter-linking play between him and Rieves Boocock, before Greaves provided the diagonal cross into the area but Rovers were beaten by the offside trap.

The Magpies came close to pulling a goal back as Cameron Baldock-Smith cleared an effort off the line.

Rovers had an opportunity to double their lead just before the break after an attack instigated by Cameron Barnett ended up with Boocock rattling the top right-hand corner of Culverwell's goal.

Rovers did double their lead straight after Stancliffe's half-time talk. Rovers pressured Culverwell into an error which Boocock to capitalised on, striking the ball from 18-yards out and finding the back of the net.

Stancliffe's side enjoyed a lot of possession and it paid dividends when Boocock added Rovers' third goal of the afternoon after slicing through Notts' defensive backline and beating Culverwell one-on-one after a great ball was provided from Baldock-Smith.

Notts did fight back, however, with substitute Tyreese Palmer left unmarked from a set-piece, allowing him time to pull one back.

Craig Gordon's side then took full control of the game for the final 20 minutes as Etete capitalised from another set-piece after a scramble in the box.

But, after an apprehensive final few moments, the young Rovers team prevailed to secure their second win of the campaign.


Advertisement block