Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 3 Wycombe Wanderers 0

11 August 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers again turned on the style in the second period as strikes from Mallik Wilks, Joe Wright and John Marquis earned three points in their first home game of the 2018/19 campaign.

Despite a bright start from Rovers the visitors had the game’s first chance, with a free-kick on the left swung in by Joe Jacobson being met by former Rovers’ striker Adebayo Akinfenwa.

Akinfenwa rose highest but his headed was scuffed and flashed past the post, causing no real threat to Marko Marosi in the Rovers goal.

Adam El-Abd was the next to go close, flicking on a header from a long ball forward by the Chairboys goalkeeper, Ryan Allsop, however Joe Wright was back to block the header.

Rovers came forward looking to respond, and Danny Andrew had two great chances to put Rovers ahead in the space of a minute.

His first effort saw him let fly from 35 yards out, striking the ball early looking to catch Allsop out, but he was unable to keep his shot down, narrowly going over the crossbar, but he would go even closer with 60 seconds.

The left-back cut inside on to his weaker right foot, curling one aimed at the far post, but Allsop got down well to parry the ball away, with Wilks follow up going well over.

The Chairboys would have two late chances in the half to open the scoring themselves, firstly Bryn Morris’ speculative strike from distance was parried away by Marosi, and then cleared by the Rovers defence.

A Wycombe corner then caused Rovers a scare, with Sam Saunders playing the ball in for Matt Bloomfield, who in turn chested the ball down to Randell Williams, however he was unable to poke the ball home.

After the break, it would be Rovers who again started the stronger, with Ben Whiteman seeing a shot blocked by El-Abd, but it wouldn’t be long before Rovers found the opener.

Rovers broke forward from a Wycombe chance through Bloomfield, with the ball finding Wilks, and he turned and shot low from the edge of the area to score his second in two games and open the scoring 10 minutes after the break.

The Chairboys would come back immediately in search of an equaliser, with Saunders cutting inside onto his left foot and looking to curl into the corner, only to see the ball go just wide of Marosi’s right post.

15 minutes later, Rovers would have their second, coming through an unlikely source, as Wright would be the man to double the lead.

Tommy Rowe threaded the ball through the back-line after a Rovers free-kick just before was cleared, with Wright still up, and he kept his composure to slot under Allsop and extend the advantage.

Two minutes later the game would be out of sight, with Matty Blair this time the architect, playing the ball through to Marquis.

Marquis saw his first shot saved by Allsop, but the Chairboys stopper could only parry the ball back to the Rovers striker, and, under pressure, he was able to squirm the ball into the near post, putting Rovers three goals up with 10 minutes to play.

Whiteman would have one last chance in added time as he looked to curl into the far corner, but instead could only shoot straight into the arms of Allsop.

Rovers will now look to make it three wins from three in Sky Bet League One when they travel to Burton Albion next Saturday, following their Carabao Cup first round trip to Scunthorpe United on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block