Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 3 Scunthorpe United 0

15 December 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers earned local bragging rights on a chilly afternoon in South Yorkshire as goals from Ben Whiteman, Herbie Kane and John Marquis saw them beat Scunthorpe United 3-0 in Sky Bet League One.

Two goals in the opening 10 minutes set the tone at the Keepmoat Stadium, before Marquis put the finishing touch on a professional performance from Grant McCann's men.

It was Rovers who would start the brighter, with Kane and James Coppinger both seeing shots from inside the area blocked in quick succession.

Just a minute later though they would take the lead, with Kane finding Mallik Wilks down the right-hand side, before the forward laid the ball back to Whiteman.

He took aim from all of 25 yards and found the far top corner, looping the ball over Jak Alnwick to hand Rovers an early advantage.

Four minutes later, Rovers lead would be doubled, with a mix up at the back for the Iron defence leading to Kane bearing down on goal.

He kept his cool to chip neatly over the on-rushing Alnwick to put Rovers 2-0 up with just 10 minutes on the clock.

Andy Butler on his 200th Rovers appearance had the next best effort to make it three when he rose highest to meet Coppinger's corner from the right, only to see Alnwick behind the ball on the goal line.

The Iron had their first chance just past the 20-minute mark as Josh Morris got in behind down the left, only to see his low effort flash just past Ian Lawlor's far post.

After the interval, it would be a while before the first meaningful chance of the second period, with Tom Anderson's header at the back post the first real opportunity, with the centre back only able to find the side netting from Danny Andrew's delivery.

Another Andrew cross into the box would then be met by Butler once again, however this time he was unable to keep his looping header below the bar.

Iron midfielder Matthew Lund was then denied superbly by Lawlor after finding space to shoot from 10 yards.

Lawlor got down brilliantly low to his left to tip the ball behind for a corner for the visitors which would then be cleared comfortably by the Rovers defence.

Rovers would get their third goal five minutes from time as a bullet header forward from Butler found Marquis and he got past Rory McArdle to get through on goal.

He kept his cool to slot under Alnwick from inside the box to extend Rovers advantage even further and seal three points in the derby.

Advertisement block