Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Deeping Rangers 1 Rovers 8

25 July 2018

Sponsored by

James Coppinger scored a stunning volley and Alfie May hit a hat-trick as Rovers clocked up a comfortable victory at Deeping Rangers.

Alex Kiwomya, Paul Taylor, a trialist, Matty Blair also netted as Grant McCann's side came through without any trouble against the non-league side at the Haydon Whitham Stadium.

The scoreline could have been more one-sided, as Rovers had two goals ruled out for offside.

Rovers started smartly, with Coppinger testing home goalkeeper Josh Carpenter with a shot inside the opening minute.

The home keeper was kept busy, collecting another Coppinger shot and tipping a Danny Amos header before Kiwomya opened the scoring with eight minutes on the clock - cutting in from the left before firing home.

Kiwomya had the ball in the back of the net again five minutes later, but it was ruled out for offside, before Coppinger doubled Rovers' advantage with a stunning volley from just inside the opposition's half that floated into the top far corner.

Trialist Taylor made it 3-0 after 23 minutes, drilling home a low shot from just outside the area after a corner was not properly cleared by the home side.

Rovers created plenty of chances, with Coppinger testing Carpenter again and only a great clearance from Luke Andersen stopping Kiwomya's dangerous cross from the left.

Billy Stubbs pulled one back for the home side just after the half-hour mark, smartly converting a cross at the far post.

There were no more goals before the break, though Joe Wright headed over for Rovers and Dan Schiavi had two efforts for the home side - with Marosi getting down low to stop the first, and the second flashing wide.

There was one change at the break for Rovers, with Issam Ben Khemis coming on for Kiwomya.

May joined in the goalscoring fun with two goals quickly after the restart, with two calm finishes low past Carpenter. Amos and Ben Khemis provided the passes to unlock the home defence.

Only a good headed clearance from home goalscorer Stubbs prevented May from completing his hat-trick with the second period just 10 minutes old.

The hour-mark brought a double change for Rovers, with Max Watters and a trialist coming on in place of Coppinger and Taylor.

Watters thought he had got himself a goal shortly after his arrival after he poked the ball home after Carpenter could only parry Amos' shot.

The trialist who came on at the same time as Watters did get on the scoresheet after 68 minutes, firing home from just inside the area after May's cutback.

Matty Blair powered home a header for Rovers' seventh goal, with Danny Amos providing the cross from the left.

The final act of note fell to May, who finished smartly into a corner to complete his hat-trick.

Advertisement block