Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blackpool 1 Rovers 2

30 March 2018

Two goals from Tommy Rowe moved Rovers up to 13th in Sky Bet League One with a 2-1 win at Blackpool.

The victory moves Darren Ferguson’s side to 49 points, and was a second straight victory after the 2-0 success over Bradford on Monday.

Rovers threatened a couple of times in the opening minutes, with John Marquis and James Coppinger combining well down the right - only for Curtis Tilt to nick the ball off the feet of the latter.

The home side’s first effort of note came after six minutes when Niall Mason’s clearance from a corner fell nicely for Jay Spearing. How powerful effort did not make it through the mass of players still in the box.

The majority of the early chances fell for the visitors, with Tommy Rowe’s downward header bouncing just wide of a post after nine minutes.

After 11 minutes Luke McCullough’s chipped ball into the area looking for Coppinger was knocked back into the path of Marquis - and the Rovers No.9 had a foot in the way as he tried to get a shot in.

The game could not sustain the pace of the opening period, but Rovers continued to press - with a low Matty Blair cross threatening after 23 minutes and Marquis almost intercepting a short backless intended for home keeper Joe Lumley.

Rovers claimed for a penalty after 40 minutes when Marquis went down in the area when trying to get on the end of a knockdown from Mathieu Baudry. Ollie Yates was unmoved, though.

They got the goal their dominance deserved after 43 minutes when Rowe found himself wth space to shoot. It took a deflection before nestling in a corner.

The home side made a change at the break, bringing Danny Philliskirk on for Nathan Delfouneso.

And the Tangerines started brightly with some early pressure, forcing a number of corners.

One came after Marko Marosi had pulled off a fantastic fingertip save to turn Armand Gnanduillet’s header over the bar with 50 minutes on the clock.

The home side drew level after 56 minutes. A raking pass from Jay Spearing found the run of Colin Daniel, and the Seasiders man drilled the ball home at the near post.

They almost went ahead moments later when a pass found Gnanduillet , he side footed it wide of a post - but the assistant’s flag was up as he was offside.

Rovers went back ahead after a well-worked free-kick with 20 minutes on the clock. The set-piece was won when Marquis was fouled just outside the area while trying to collect a pass from Alfie Beestin.

Rowe and Marquis lined up to block the view of the wall and goalkeeper, as Coppinger shaped to shoot.

But, with the home defence fooled, Coppinger paused and Marquis flicked the ball to his right where Rowe turned and drilled the ball into the bottom left corner.

Advertisement block