Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rotherham Youth 0 Rovers Youth 1

25 March 2018

Myron Gibbons’ early strike was enough to give Paul Stancliffe’s U18s all three points at local rivals Rotherham United.

It took only eight minutes for Rovers to take the lead against the title challengers after Cody Prior delivered a cutting pass through the Rotherham defence, releasing Gibbons who shrugged off two markers to slide past Farrar in Rotherham’s goal.

Rovers gave away a free-kick just outside the centre circle which Lewis Murr played short before the right-winger crossed the ball into the box only to be headed away by Rovers defender Ben Blythe.

Gibbons and James Morris produced some immaculate one-twos, putting the Millers under pressure, leaving Morris with a golden chance on goal, only for it to be blocked by a defender.

Louis Jones was only forced into making one save in the first-half as Osbourne struck from the edge of the box, forcing the keeper into a reflect save to his near right post.

Just before half-time Prior played a looping ball over many Rotherham bodies, heading towards Boocock, but Southern-Cooper narrowly beat him to the ball.

In the second-half Rovers had one of their best chances to double their lead as Morris produced a cross from the right flank which dipped towards Gibbons’ head, only for it to skim the top, but Junior Smith fed off the scraps and was fouled by a Rotherham defender. Rovers’ claim for a penalty was waved away by referee Nigel Banford.

Towards the end of the game Rotherham really turned on the pressure as Horton was forced into a last-ditch block on a drilled shot by Carlton. Jones was equal to the shot when it eventually came in, pulling off a great save to force the ball out for a corner.

Jones remained focused for the corner and vocally came out for the dipping ball to smother it in his hands.
During added time, both teams had two golden chances to score as Carlton left Jones’ crossbar shaking after his thumping effort from the edge of the 18-yard-box.

Rovers countered, coming down the other end and Morris had his chance cleared off the line by Jake Hull after he managed to beat Millers’ keeper Farrar.

Advertisement block