Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers U18s 4 Bradford City U18s 1

1 May 2018

Rovers’ under-18’s rounded their season off in style, as they recorded their eighth consecutive victory after a 4-1 win over Bradford City at Cantley Park.

Two goals apiece from James Morris and Rieves Boocock sealed victory for the under-18 side, who finished their season superbly after a great run of performances towards the end of the campaign.

It was the visitors who made the brighter start however, as Bradford recorded the first shot on goal of the game.

Keren Adams forced Rovers keeper Dec Ogley into a low diving save at his near post after Adams shot from the far-right corner of the box.

After that, Rovers went on the attack, with Morris finding himself in a threatening position, after being left in acres of space.

He pulled the trigger but Bradford keeper Alfie Darke was equal to his effort, however it wouldn’t be long before he and Rovers got the opening goal, as Rovers scored twice inside two minutes.

Defender Ben Blythe launched a long-ball forward to Branden Horton over on the left flank.

Horton cut the ball across the face of goal where James Morris was there to tap the ball in past Darke in the Bantams goal.

The second came after Morris held the ball up well and beat his marker Reece Saunton before crossing the ball into the box from the right.

Myron Gibbons was there to head the ball neatly down to where Boocock was waiting, and he slotted the ball past Darke to double Rovers’ lead.

The U18s continued to battle for more as Rovers’ front men kept on teasing the ball through the Bradford defenders.

The ball eventually came to the feet of Jacob Fletcher, with the Bradford defence allowing the midfielder plenty of space.

He shot from the edge of the area, but his shot was saved by Darke to ensure that the Bantams remained in the game.

Blythe then provided yet another precise long-ball up-field towards Elliott Walker with the full-back turning the ball onto his right foot and shooting on goal, with the ball narrowly missing the far post and behind for a goal kick.

It wouldn’t be long before Rovers did extend their lead however, as they effectively ended the game as a contest on the stroke of half-time.

Morris got his second of the game as he got on the end of a well-taken set-piece to beat Darke once again.

Bradford came out livelier in the second-half and immediately cut the deficit by getting a goal back through Elliott Goldthorp.

He headed home from a set-piece, with the ball ricocheting off the underside of the cross-bar and finding the back of the net.

This didn’t dent Rovers’ momentum however, as Gibbons made a fantastic run down the left before squaring the ball across the face of goa.

Morris picked the ball up, but he was shown away from goal by an alert Bantams defender, making it impossible for the man on a hat-trick to shoot.

Ogley made a great save with his view obstructed due to the amount of bodies in front of him, as he reacted after a curling effort from Connor Shanks which threatened Rovers’ goal.

The three points were sealed later on however as Rovers worked a free-kick magnificently.

Josh Wicks provided a ball through to Boocock who the blasted it into the top of the goal for his second of the game, making sure Rovers’ youth side continued their great end of season form, with their eighth victory on the spin in their final outing of the campaign.

Advertisement block