Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

York City reserves 3 Rovers Development 2

1 May 2018

Danny Andrew stepped up his return from a knee injury with 90 minutes for Rovers' Development side against York City reserves.

Andrew comfortably completed the full game at Bootham Crescent, though he was unable to prevent the young Rovers side falling to defeat after the Minstermen fought back from Jacob Fletcher's opener.

Rovers first threatened after five minutes when Cameron Foulkes' low cross was well cleared, with Cody Prior firing wide after 10 minutes.

15 interception from Jack Cawthorn to cut out Andrews' ball looking for Reeves Boocock, had to settle for a corner.

Rovers went ahead after 18 minutes when Boocock was unfairly shoved off the ball in the area by Josh Rogerson.

Fletcher stood up to take the spot-kick, and calmly rolled the ball into the bottom-right corner.

Moments later the triallist forward tried his luck with an effort from just outside the area which went wide.

His shot almost led to a second goal after 22 minutes when his effort was palmed away by Ryan Whitley in the home goal, the ball fell to Myron Gibbons but he could not wrap his foot around the ball in time to keep his shot on target.

Fletcher's well-hit shot following a corner went just over the bar after 33 minutes and Gibbons stung the palms of Whitley from a counter after 39 minutes and again after 42, but there was no further score before the break.

The home side drew level seven minutes after the restart when Aston Harrison went down in the area and the game saw its second penalty.

Josh Berry stepped up and slotted the ball comfortably into the skate bottom-right corner Fletcher had finished in during the opening half.

The Minstermen then stunned Rovers with a fantastic effort from Flynn McNaughton which was too far in the opposite corner for Jones to get to,

Rovers pushed to get back level, with Fletcher lofting an effort over the bar shortly after the restart.

Boocock just failed the lift the ball over Whitley after Fletcher's throughball just after the hour mark.

Gibbons did well to break the offside trap five minutes later but, under pressure from a home defender, his shot went just over.

Rovers missed a real opportunity to draw level just after 70 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for the second time.

Fletcher stepped up again, but Whitley was equal to it and turned it away before it was cleared to keep the home side ahead.

Gibbons was squeezed out after 76 minutes when Andrew's throughball set him free on a counter.

Omar Sanyang come off the bench for the final 14 minutes, replacing Boocock.

But moments later the home stretched their lead, as McNaughton grabbed his second of the game.
The trialist went close after 84 minutes when he rounded Whitley, but his effort came back off the near post and into the grateful arms of the home keeper.

He did scramble the ball home shortly afterwards as he stabbed the ball home from close range to set up a dramatic finale.

Advertisement block