Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Charlton Athletic 2 Rovers 0

3 November 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers' second-half display fell short as they came away from Charlton Athletic without any points.

Grant McCann made three changes, with Andy Butler and Niall Mason coming back into the starting line-up after serving one-match suspensions. Paul Taylor was also given his first Sky Bet League One start after impressing off the bench in recent outings.

The early stages of play were very open, with great work from Matty Blair down the right setting up Herbie Kane for an early chance which forced a great save from home goalkeeper Jed Steer at point-blank range.

More early opportunities were created, with James Coppinger leaving two defenders on the floor as he created space for himself for a shot - which was blocked - before Mason twice fired wide after some good play.

The home side went ahead after 18 minutes following a corner. An initial header came crashing back off the crossbar, but it fell perfectly for Joe Aribo to poke home the opener.

Rovers reacted well to going behind, with Herbie Kane going close and Mason seeing a shot blocked then an effort from just inside the area saved by Steer.

But the equaliser did not come quickly and Karlan Grant flicked an effort just wide to show what a threat the home side possessed. He made Rovers pay just after the half-hour mark when he headed home Lyle Taylor's impressive cross.

McCann made two changes at the break, introducing Mallik Wilks and Alfie May in place of Coppinger and Taylor.

May almost found himself through on goal after a loose pass from Josh Cullen, but Jason Pearce through himself into a diving header as the forward tried to get his shot away.

Ben Whiteman connected well with a Herbie Kane cross after 57 minutes, only for his volleyed effort to be deflected behind for a corner.

May was again denied by a fantastic last-gasp challenge - this time from Ben Reeves - as he looked to get his shot away from a great counter after he was fed by Matty Blair.

Rovers pushed the home side back, but the Addicks defended resolutely and in numbers.

Marquis glanced a header wide in stoppage time and Wilks tried a shot from distance which ended up in the stand, but it was to be a frustrating afternoon for Rovers.

Advertisement block