Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chorley 2 Rovers 2

11 November 2018

Sponsored by

A moment of magic from Herbie Kane ensured his side will replay with Chorley for a place in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup after a pulsating tie at Victory Park.

The home side stunned Rovers when Josh O’Keefe headed home in the second minute, setting up a frantic opening.
But Rovers grew into the game and enjoyed some good possession, with Kane slotting home an equalising goal after 11 minutes when home goalkeeper Matt Urwin could only parry John Marquis’ shot.
Rovers pushed for a second goal to go ahead, with Matty Blair seeing an effort cleared off the line after Danny Andrew’s shot was blocked.
And James Coppinger had an effort disallowed when he was ruled to be offside when he collected Maquis’ pass.
Mallik Wilks will feel he should have put Rovers ahead just before the break when played through, he kept his composure to slot the ball past Urwin but saw it clip the inside of a post before rolling agonisingly along the line to be cleared.
Courtney Meppen-Walter made Rovers pay for that wastefulness moments later when he lashed home the Magpies’ second goal of the game.
Rovers manager Grant McCann asked his side for a reaction after the break, with Ben Whiteman stinging the palms of Urwin shortly after the restart before Coppinger fired wide.
The home side’s hopes of hanging on were dealt a blow on the hour mark when Matt Challoner was shown a straight red card after a late tackle on Kane.
The challenge was clearly inside the area, although the official thought it was outside so the Magpies were spared the prospect of facing a penalty kick.
Rovers had to be patient to make their numerical advantage count, with Alfie May - who had come on for Matty Blair at the break - and Wilks both going close.
Urwin pulled off fantastic stops from Marquis and Wilks as it looked like he could single-handedly secure victory for his side.
It took a moment of magic from Kane to beat Urwin - lofting the ball into the top-right corner from distance.
Rovers then had their tails up looking for victory, with Marquis seeing an effort blocked and Coppinger not quite connecting with an overhead kick.
May did have the ball in the back of the net in stoppage time, but it was ruled out for a foul in the build up.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account