Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 2 Blackpool 0

27 November 2018

Sponsored by

Herbie Kane continued his incredible form with another stunning strike to fire Rovers to victory over Blackpool.

Kane’s 25-yard stunner in first-half injury time was followed up by John Marquis’ strike 12 minutes from time to secure a victory that was Rovers' first home league win against Blackpool since 2004 and moved Grant McCann’s men up to seventh in the league.

Nathan Delfouneso would have the game’s opening opportunity after 10 minutes, shooting on goal following a flick-on from his strike partner Armand Gnanduillet, however Ian Lawlor got behind it well to save.

Danny Andrew would then try his luck down the other end following a pass across to him from Ali Crawford, but this time his shot would drift just over the bar.

Crawford would go close with Rovers next chance, as a brilliant ball forward by Kane towards Alfie May would then be touched into the path of Marquis.

He played Crawford through for a first-time shot with his left foot from 20 yards out, only for Ben Heneghan to divert his effort just wide of the post and behind for a corner.

Joe Bunney should then have put his side in front following another of play involving Gnanduillet, but he could only slice his effort well wide despite being right in front of goal.

It would be a miss that would prove to be costly as the first half ticked into stoppage time, and it would be another Kane stunner that sent Rovers into the break in the lead.

He picked up the ball on half way before playing a one-two with James Coppinger, then driving on towards goal and unleashing a powerful drive from 25 yards out that crashed off the cross bar and into the back of the net,
leaving Mark Howard grasping at thin air.

In similar fashion to the first half, after the interval the game really struggled to get going, with May having the first chance just after the hour, getting in behind to shoot, only to see Curtis Tilt back to block the ball behind for another Rovers corner.

Gnanduillet was making a nuisance of himself up the other end of the pitch, collecting the ball from substitute Michael Nottingham and shooting low from distance, only to see his shot flash inches wide of Lawlor’s right-hand post.
Rovers would double their lead with 12 minutes left to play, with Kane shooting from the edge of the area.

His effort was blocked but only into the path of Marquis, and he cut onto his left foot to slot into the bottom corner and extend his side’s advantage.

Kane almost doubled his own tally from a free-kick after a foul on Mallik Wilks, with the midfielder stepping up from 20 yards, only to see the set piece come crashing back off the cross bar.

Rovers now head into Emirates FA Cup action at the weekend when they travel to the capital to face fellow League One side Charlton Athletic at The Valley in the second round on Saturday.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account