Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 0 Fleetwood Town 4

6 October 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers fell to a 4-0 defeat to a clinical Fleetwood Town side.

The visitors took the lead from the spot inside four minutes. Ched Evans was brought down on the edge of the box by the outrushing Marko Marosi, and he stepped up to put Fleetwood in front, despite the Slovakian keeper getting a hand to the spot-kick.

Rovers tried their best to get themselves back on level terms as the half wore on, with John Marquis having their best opportunities to score.

He worked hard down the right to open up himself some space in front of goal, but he could only fire wide with his left foot.

Mallik Wilks was next to try his luck down the right-hand side, with the forward cutting onto his left foot, however his powerful drive was well stopped by Alex Cairns.

Marquis went agonisingly close to a leveller on the half-hour mark as he connected with Wilks' centre, this time we would direct his header just wide of the far post.

Joe Wright went even closer with an almost identical header, with Niall Mason whipping the ball into the area after a corner, and the defender headed wide of the same post Marquis had headed wide of just a minute before.

It would be those chances that Rovers would rue missing just a few moments later, as Fleetwood doubled their lead after 34 minutes.

Ashley Hunter's corner from the right-hand side evaded everyone but James Wallace, and he steered the ball into the bottom corner via the post to extend the Fleetwood advantage.

With five minutes of added time at the end of the first period, the last minute of that would see the game's, and Fleetwood's third goal of the game.

A corner, this time from the left, was driven in by Ross Wallace and into the path of Ashley Eastham who was able to guide his header through everyone and into the corner, leaving Rovers with a mountain to climb at the interval.

After the break it would be more of the same from the visitors, and if the game wasn't already beyond them, it seemingly would be just four minutes into the second half.

Hunter capitalised on a slip from Wright to race through on goal and he kept his composure to slot the ball under Marosi and extend Fleetwood's lead even further.

Marquis would try and salvage something for his side after good work by substitute Ali Crawford down the left, however his shot was blocked and cleared by the Fleetwood defence.

Wilks was next to try and get something out of the game for Rovers, with more good work by Crawford enabling Wilks to try the overhead after the ball looped up in the air, but Cairns was able to claim the striker's effort.

Alfie May would have Rovers last chance to grab a consolation goal as he tried his luck from distance, but Cairns got across well to stop his shot and keep Rovers at bay.

Advertisement block