Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers U18s 1 Shrewsbury Town U18s 6

8 October 2018

Sponsored by

Rovers bowed out of the the EFL Youth Alliance Cup after Lifumpa Mwandwe inspired a strong Shrewsbury Town U18s side.

The Shrews were at full strength, but Rovers drafted in a number of players from the U16s and below as the majority of the U18 side took on Everton in the Premier League Cup the night before.

The Shrews took an early lead after they produced a good counter-attack, which saw them storm down their right-hand side before Mwandwe curled the ball into the bottom right corner of Ben Bottomley's goal from just outside the D.

Moments later they had doubled their lead when a diagonal ball was played from their right-back to Mwandwe who struck again.

Rovers attempted to forge their way back into the game when Lirak Hasani chipped a ball over the Shrewsbury backline, finding Myron Gibbons whose shot was tipped around a post by Jack Atkinson.

Bottomley – who was making his debut in goal – produced a magnificent save to deny Mwandwe after a cross came in from the right.

Captain Cameron Barnett had his effort tipped wide by Atkinson after his great snapshot from 25 yards was drilled low on target.

Rovers then lost possession in the centre of the pitch, and from there Shrewsbury acted swiftly and Archie Elmore ensured Rovers were punished for their mistake as he netted The Blues' third of the game by the thirty-third minuet.

Hamza Mohammed scored a consolation for Rovers as he drove one home moments before referee Darrell Bright blew the whistle for half-time, tucking the ball into the left corner of the net – giving Rovers hope heading into the second period.

Shrewsbury made it four on the hour-mark when as Mwandwe turned from his left to right in the area before striking straight into the centre of Bottomley's net on his right foot.

Junior took one for the team when he slid into a post to deny Mwandwe after he beat Bottomley and was through clear on goal.

Mwandwe continued to cause Rovers' defence a headache as he penetrated from the centre of field and ends up getting the better of Bottomley to make it 5-1.

Proceedings were wrapped up when Mwandwe let loose on goal once again and his shot came off the inside of the left-hand post to ensure Rovers had no chance of qualification into the next round of the cup competition.

Advertisement block