Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 2 Bradford City 1

22 September 2018

Sponsored by

John Marquis scored another double against Bradford City to set Rovers on their way to a third win in a row in Sky Bet League One.

Marquis scored either side of the break to ensure Rovers would secure three points at the Keepmoat Stadium – despite a late fightback from the Bantams that would see them pull a goal back 10 minutes from time. 

The visitors started the quicker of the two, with Bantams’ skipper Eoin Doyle running in behind to set up Sean Scannell in the opening minute, but Joe Wright got back across well to deny the midfielder a goal. 

Rovers came back though and had multiple chances in quick succession down the other end, with Mallik Wilks first to see his shot saved by Richard O’Donnell after a neat turn in the box. 

Matty Blair and Marquis would then see two shots blocked one after the other by a Bantams defence that was looking to hold strong in the early stages, before Danny Andrew fired well over with the eventual follow-up. 

Marquis would be in behind once again just a moment later after a brilliant through ball from James Coppinger, but O’Donnell got across well to cover and concede a corner. 

That combination would get its reward two minutes later, though, with a superb bit of play from Coppinger down the right seeing him tee up Marquis for a shot. 

The striker cut the ball back onto his right foot and smashed the ball into a top corner from the edge of the area to put Rovers ahead half-way through the first period. 

The Bantams then would go close to seeing them immediately get an equaliser, with Scannell break clear down the right before pulling the ball back to Jack Payne. 

Payne twisted and turned his way past two Rovers defenders before firing an effort on goal, only to see his shot drift just wide of the far post. 

Andy Butler would have two bites at the cherry from a Rovers’ free-kick, firstly heading straight at O’Donnell before finding the side-netting with his follow-up effort. 

Wilks would have one last chance before the interval to increase Rovers’ advantage, flicking a header on goal from an Andrew corner on the right, but his attempt would just miss the far post. 

It wouldn’t take long after the break to double their lead, however, with a swift counter-attack being rewarded just seven minutes after the restart. 

Blair brought the ball forward before finding Coppinger, who in-turn found Herbie Kane on the overlap on the left. 

Kane fed the ball through for Marquis who was able to smash the ball past O’Donnell left-footed to extend both his and Rovers’ tally on the day. 

Marquis and Coppinger would link up again 10 minutes later with another quick break-away, this time feeding the ball through for Wilks, however he was unable to find the back of the net, shooting just wide of the far post. 

The Bantams’ picked up the intensity as the game reached the closing 10 minutes, firstly hitting the post through Doyle after a cross over from Scannell saw the Irishman in space in the box. 

Doyle shot first time, with the ball striking the base of a post before eventually bouncing away.  They would find their goal just a minute later, though, with Marko Marosi being beaten to the ball by substitute George Miller, who rounded the Rovers’ stopper to slot into the empty net and set up a tense finish to the game. 

Rovers would hold on however and secured their third Sky Bet League One win in a row, and will now travel to Devon in search of a fourth consecutive victory when they play Plymouth Argyle at Home Park next weekend. 

Advertisement block