Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers Development 2 Scunthorpe United Reserves 4

26 September 2018

Sponsored by

Ali Crawford scored on his return from injury as Rovers’ Development side took on a strong Scunthorpe reserves side at Cantley Park.

Crawford’s strike after Will Longbottom’s opener gave Rovers a two-goal lead at the break, before a spirited second-half display from the Iron saw them score four in the second period against a young home outfit.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game, a cross from the right-side was back-heeled into the path of George Thomas but the trialist in the Rovers goal pulled off an outstanding one-one-one save to deny the on-loan Leicester City midfielder.

After nine minutes the trialist was called into action once again, this time a cross from Lewis Butroid found Stephen Humphrys at the far post, but the on-loan Fulham man was denied by the goalkeeper.

Four minutes later it was John Schofield’s side who took the lead, as an in-swinging cross from Danny Amos was flicked into the back of the net by Longbottom.

Just after the half an hour mark Rovers doubled their lead when another cross from Amos found the head of Longbottom for the second time in the match, this time his bullet header cannoned off the inside of a post and eventually tapped home by Crawford.

Rovers had the last chance of the half, a drilled cross from Longbottom found the feet of Crawford, but the Scotsman could not add to his tally.

The game was turned on its head after the break with the visitors notching three goals in eight minutes.

Iron midfielder Thomas was the first to get his name on the scoresheet with a drilled right-footed effort, despite a superb save from the trialist in the build up.

A minute later the game was level when a well-worked piece of play from the visitors saw the ball find Humphrys on the edge of the box, then his strike found the bottom left corner.

Humphrys doubled his own tally in the 53rd minute of the game, after finding some space the striker curled a right-footed effort into the bottom right corner.

The Iron continued to press and almost extended their lead, a cross from Thomas was headed goal-wards by Kyle Wootton but the trialist was there to deny the forward.

Wootton would not be denied, though, as he extended Scunthorpe’s lead in the 72nd minute, a well-worked move from the visitors saw Humphrys effort saved but Wootton was there to apply the finishing touch.

Advertisement block