Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Gainsborough Trinity 0 Rovers 2

13 July 2019

Club News

Gainsborough Trinity 0 Rovers 2

13 July 2019

Goals from Ben Whiteman and John Marquis sealed a win at Gainsborough Trinity as Rovers continued their winning start to pre-season.

Rovers named a starting XI the same as that faced Rossington Main in Tuesday’s opening game of pre-season, and again changed the side entirely at the break.

The first chance of the match fell to Alfie May, who shot wide after four minutes, with the first clear-cut opportunity coming after 13 minutes.

A neat passing move starting on the right-wing ended with Madger Gomes trying a low effort which was tipped wide by the home goalkeeper.

Three minutes later the home keeper, who was on trial with Trinity, again had to be alert to get down and keep out a stinging effort from Ben Whiteman after a free-kick was only partially cleared. May got on the rebound, but went for power and could not keep his effort under the bar.

The home side did not really test visiting keeper Ian Lawlor, with three corners ultimately well defended by the visiting defence.

Whiteman opened the scoring after 24 minutes with a curling effort from distance which nestled into the bottom-right corner.

Marquis made it 2-0 with his first goal of pre-season just after the half-hour mark, getting on the end of a long pass from Tom Anderson before finishing calmly into the bottom left corner.

And it was almost 3-0 almost immediately afterwards with Gomes feeding May, whose cross was agonisingly just in front of Matty Blair who was running in at the far post.

Whiteman was proving dangerous when allowed to loiter outside the area, and he again picked up the ball in a good position when the ball was cleared by a home defender.

This time his powerful low drive came crashing back off the far post. and the home side got in at the break just two goals down.

Rovers changed their side entirely for the second period, with Ben Sheaf getting his first 45 minutes of game time in red and white hoops two days after completing his loan move from Arsenal.

The new-look Rovers side again enjoyed plenty of the ball, with an early snapshot from Kieran Sadlier going wide and Will Longbottom seeing an effort deflected wide.

Alex Kiwomya lifted an effort just wide on the hour mark after a smart ball from Max Watters. before Sadlier again curled a low shot just beyond the far post.

The trialist Trinity keeper had to be alert to deny Kiwomya after 67 minutes, with Watters sending the ball wide from the rebound.

Danny Amos also lifted an effort just over the bar as he aimed for the top right corner and Kiwomya saw a late effort saved by the home keeper, while Rovers keeper Louis Jones - who replaced Ian Lawlor at the break - had to be alert to tip away a long-distance drive deep in stoppage time.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account