Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Lincoln City U18s 1 Rovers U18s 3

17 March 2019

Club News

Lincoln City U18s 1 Rovers U18s 3

17 March 2019

Sponsored by

Rovers' U18s produced a magnificent second-half comeback to leapfrog Lincoln City and reclaim second place in the Youth Alliance's North East Youth Division.

It was a quiet opening to the game with little chances for either side, but Rovers dominated possession and were on top.

Rieves Boocock had the first big chance for Rovers as he shot low to the bottom left corner of Matthew White's goal – forcing him into his first save of the morning.

Lincoln won a corner through a great stretching save from Dec Ogley. The hosts then took the lead through this as Myron Gibbons headed into his own net while trying to defend.

The home side proved to be a constant threat from corners during the game, with Rovers having to be on their toes defending them.

Boocock had Rovers' final chance of the half when he found himself through on goal, but as he was about to shoot the linesman flagged for a narrow offside.

Rovers came out the liveliest of the two teams after the break, as though they could smell blood, but a determined Lincoln were defending well to hold onto their lead.

Paul Stancliffe's side did pull even when Cameron Barnett hit the ball on the volley and watched it rocket into the top of the net.

Another chance came Rovers' way when Gibbons swiftly turned in the box before getting his effort away from a tight angle – but he was denied by White.

Rovers made it two when Elliott Walker's precise cross from the right was headed goalward by Boocock, but White tipped it wide for a corner which Rovers benefited from as AJ Greaves got the final touch to send the ball into the net.

The final goal of the game – which turned out to be the winner – came as Boocock skidded the ball across the face of goal where Will McGowan was able to charge in and tap home.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account