Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers 1 Charlton Athletic 1

2 March 2019

Club News

Rovers 1 Charlton Athletic 1

2 March 2019

Sponsored by

Late drama at the Keepmoat Stadium would see Rovers left to settle for a point against fellow promotion chasers Charlton Athletic in Sky Bet League One.

Rovers battled well against the fifth-placed Addicks who took the lead through an own-goal before Mallik Wilks pulled his side level a few minutes later, before Rovers saw a winning goal chalked off after a late offside flag was raised by the assistant referee.

It would be the visitors who would have the better start, having some good early chances inside the game's opening 10 minutes, none of which would be taken luckily for Rovers.

Inside the opening minute Jonny Williams surge down the right saw him open up space to shoot, only for Paul Downing to block his effort, before Aaron Lewis blocked a shot from Igor Vetokele after the resulting scramble in the area.

Krystian Bielik would be next to test the Rovers goal, with the midfielder rising highest to meet Chris Solly's cross in from the right, only to see Marko Marosi claim his header comfortably.

A poor clearance from Marosi then almost let the Addicks in once more with Vetokele squaring the ball for Joe Aribo, but his effort was blocked this time by Andy Butler.

Josh Cullen then saw Butler in his way once again as his shot from the edge of the Rovers' penalty area was deflected over the bar by the head of the returning club captain.

Marosi would be called into action just short of the 20-minute mark, racing out to prevent Lyle Taylor from then opening the scoring, with the former Wimbledon man only able to shoot straight at the Slovakian from close range.

John Marquis would then be at the heart of two big chances for Rovers towards the half-hour, firstly seeing an effort deflected over the bar himself by Patrick Bauer, before then clipping just over the bar a couple of minutes later.

Marquis would have the ball in the back of the net not long after, with Ben Whiteman finding Mallik Wilks down the right-hand side, before the Leeds United loanee found the space to cut onto his left foot and cross in.

Marquis was unmarked in the six-yard box to tap home past Dillon Phillips, only to see the assistant referee on the far side with his flag raised for offside, but Rovers were definitely starting to stamp their own authority on the match.

Bielik would then have a couple bites at the cherry as he looked to hand control back to the Addicks, with Williams clipping the ball up to Bauer who chested the ball back to Bielik.

His volley has headed away by Ben Whiteman, only for the ball to fall back to him, before an almost identical volley was tipped over the bar superbly by Marosi.

Rovers had much of the better play early on after the break, with a free-kick out wide floated out to the back post, with Butler heading the ball back for James Coppinger to shoot, only to see a Charlton body back to block the ball out for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, Downing would then see a header cleared off the line and away by Solly, before the Addicks were able to get the ball away from danger.

Charlton created good chances of their own too with the game really picking up in tempo as it headed towards the final 20 minutes or so.

Vetokele got the better of Downing inside the area and passed behind to Ben Purrington who in turn squared the ball to Taylor, however the Addicks forward could only strike against the base of the post.

Aribo would then have two efforts in quick succession as he saw shots blocked by Butler and then Downing before an Addicks corner would be Rovers' undoing.

Josh Cullen received the ball short from the set-piece and he crossed low into the area, with Marquis diving to head the ball past his own goalkeeper and hand the visitors the lead.

Rovers would come straight back though and grab an equaliser, with a superb bit of individual play by Wilks seeing them level.

He received the ball from Whiteman and a lovely little turn saw him get away from his man and open up space to shoot from the edge of the box, with which he duly obliged by shooting low into the corner beyond Phillips.

Marquis would then see Phillips down low superbly to deny him a goal at the right end, with the Addicks stopper saving his snap shot brilliantly, before Aaron Lewis was denied down low in the same corner by Phillips from distance.

There was late drama at the Keepmoat Stadium as Rovers thought they had won it late on, with Whiteman striking the crossbar from distance before the ball found Marquis who curled into the far corner via the head of Tommy Rowe.

Rovers celebrations were halted though with the assistant's flag raised very late on and both sides would have to settle for a point in this key play-off battle.

Rovers are on the road next weekend as they head to the capital to face AFC Wimbledon next Saturday in Sky Bet League One.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account