Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers U23 6 Huddersfield Town U23 2

6 November 2019

Club News

Rovers U23 6 Huddersfield Town U23 2

6 November 2019

A clinical Rovers U23 side racked up an impressive victory over Huddersfield Town in the Central League Cup.

Rovers came out the traps flying, and were ahead inside 90 seconds when AJ Greaves threaded the ball through for Rakish Bingham to hit home.

And the good start got even better moments later for a youthful Rovers outfit when Alex Kiwomya’s cross from the left found Max Watters and the forward fired home his side’s second with just three minutes on the clock.

Rovers keeper Kian Johnson had to be alert to save with his legs from Micah Obiero as the visitors briefly rallied, but the home side continued to create opportunities.

Bingham saw an effort tipped over by Giosue Bellagambi after a Kiwomya pull-back, and Shane Blaney rattled an impressive free-kick off the inside of a post.

Terriers captain Scott High did get one back before the interval with a shot from outside the area which nestled into a far corner, and Obiero fired over four minutes into the second period.

But Rovers began to take control again, with Rieves Boocock - on as a half-time replacement for Bingham - curling an effort which was destined for the top-right corner before being tipped away by Bellagambi.

And they all but sealed the game with a quick fire double just before the hour mark.

First Blaney tried his luck from a free-kick after 57 minutes. He did not hit it as sweetly as his effort in the first-half, but it was well placed to catch Bellagambi out and while he got a hand to his low shot he could not keep it out.

Rovers scored a minute later via an attack down the right led by Boocock. His ball inside found Watters who shot was parried by Bellagambi, but it went straight into the path of Will Longbottom who had a routine finish.

Rovers had their tails up, with the fifth goal coming five minutes later - Kiwomya’s pull back from the left looked to be put into his own net by Josh Austerfield under pressure from Longbottom.

The sixth came with 20 minutes to go when Boocock outjumped the visiting keeper to get a head on Elliott Walker’s deep cross.

Substitute Nathan Dimou had an effort palmed away and a headed effort held.

Remi Thompson did snatch a late consolation for the visitors, but the substantial winning margin was no more than than the young Rovers side deserved.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account