Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rovers U18s 0 Mansfield U18s 1

23 September 2019

A second-half goal from Jamie Chisholm ensured Mansfield Town snatched three points away from Rovers in the Youth Alliance League.

Paul Stancliffe made four changes to the side that were beaten 6-3 by Mansfield the previous weekend with Kian Johnson, Lewis Cunningham, Liam Ravenhill and Luca Nelson returning to the side. Max Jemson and Josh Clemitson dropped out while Ben Bottomley and Lirak Hasani were withdrawn through injury.

A quiet opening was plighted by injuries for both sides. Nathan Dimou received an elbow to the nose from Joshua Scott, causing delay to play as the centre back received treatment.

Scott then landed badly on his ankle which caused another pause in play while he was stretched off the field of play.

Kian Johnson produced an outstanding performance for his return between the sticks making a great save to deny a flying effort which looked destined for goal.

Rovers tested visiting goalkeeper Maison Campbell from a free kick, forcing him into a low diving save to his bottom left corner.

Jack Watson was given a talking to from the referee Darrell Bright after putting in a challenge on Mansfield captain Kian Sketchley. Neither side managed to break the deadlock in the first-half.

Due to injury in the first-half Dimou was replaced by Max Jemson at the break after relentless bleeding prevented him from being able to carry on.

Within two minutes of the second period starting Lewis Cunningham gave away a penalty for fouling Rio Molyneaux. Shamar Lawson took the resulting kick but Johnson read him well and made a save down to his left.

From that, Rovers quickly charged down the other side and Elliott Walker’s dangerous cross was just missed by the diving head of Luca Nelson.

The Stags took the lead when Chisholm headed into the net from a corner after being uncontested for the ball.

A chance came for Rovers with Watson sliding in on goal from a tight angle coming agonisingly close.

Will McGowan then watched his looping header be caught by the Campbell putting any question of an equaliser to bed as the game ended.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account